Chapter 39: Scott POV

Start from the beginning

I pressed myself against the stone brick wall, sucking in my stomach, and started to slowly move around the curve of the turret to the barred window Gem had talked about. The metal bars that used to be blocking the hole in the side of the castle, were now lying in the grass.

I stepped back a foot before running and grabbing onto the edge of the ledge with my fingertips and pulling myself up to the window, squeezing through the extremely small space.

Gem grabbed my forearms and helped me down into the cell.

She then grabbed her staff that was leaning against the wall and twirled it in her hand. It disappeared, and for a second I wondered why she got rid of it. Then I realized it would be very awkward to sneak around with.

She pressed a finger to her lips, and we crept out of the cell into the hallway. "The guards just went by. They patrol this hall every five minutes. We have to be quick." She whispered, and we darted down the hallway, barely making a sound.

Then we made it to the staircase. It went down and curved into darkness. Gem suddenly grabbed my upper arm and yanked me behind the wall that framed the staircase. A second later, I heard footsteps echo up the stairway and two guards come up.

"...You recon the Ice King will be at the execution?"

"Nah, he'd try and save that psychopath. Remember the trial with the demon? We wouldn't be in this situation if he had just let Count Fwhip kill the girl."

I held my breath as they walked down the hall out of sight. Ice King? Seriously?

Gem then grabbed my wrist and dragged me down the staircase without saying a word. We whipped down the stairs, traveling down floor after floor in silence. It got darker the farther we went, and torch brackets filled with fire began to line the staircase instead of the electric lightbulbs. Maybe it would be too expensive to run the entire prison on electricity.

I knew when we hit the bottom floor. The ground floor consisted of grey, slightly worn stone bricks. Down here, they were all made from a black, slightly shiny, stone. Each rectangular brick was heavily defined, and the floor was sleek.

There were no cells on either side of the hall. Except for at the very end. I was surprised there weren't any guards down here...maybe Gem had done something. The hall seemed to go on forever...but finally one came into sight at the very end of the hall.

Two heavy metal doors covered it, and Gem scanned her card before typing in a five-digit passcode. The doors steamed before slowly opening, revealing an inch of bullet proof glass.

Erin was chained to a seat in the middle of the white room, her muzzle back on. She looked up when the doors opened, and her eyes widened in shock. She began to shake her head with a look that clearly said, 'GET OUT OF HERE!'

Gem pressed a few more buttons, and the glass began to sink into the floor, letting us into the room. Gem suddenly pressed her hand against my chest and held up her hand, signaling me to wait a second. She put one foot inside the cage, turned around, looking up, and threw two small somethings at the corners of the room I couldn't see.

I heard glass shattering before two broken cameras fell from the ceiling.

"MHMMMHM!" Erin shouted through the muzzle.

I ran over and pulled it off her.

"What are you doing!? Get out of here!" She hissed.