𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟼: 𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚜𝚎𝚚𝚞𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚜

Sighing, I gathered the used dishes off the table, stacking the plates and the cutlery on top of the plate

Sighing, I gathered the used dishes off the table, stacking the plates and the cutlery on top of the plate. I brought them over to another table and started to separate the paper ones from the plastic before putting them into two piles.

Uncle Nate hovered around the picnic benches. In his grip was a cup from which I could faintly smell the familiar scent of vervain. Vervain tea, most likely.

I don't even know why I was here. Oh right. Volunteering that I had no choice but to sign up for because my family along with Fells decided to donate to the town for a park.

"Hey, do you want me to get that?" I pointed to the cup. At least I was making an effort. I still didn't want to talk to him or anyone in my family.

"Sure." He handed me the cup and backed off, watching me as I placed the dishes into the bin which was marked for recycling. "Want some help?" He carefully asked.

"I got it. Thanks for asking."

"Right...so. Mason and I talked."

"Uh-huh."

I had no idea why he was telling me this. It wasn't like I told him about Katherine's visit. I didn't know if I wanted to tell anyone yet. Somehow, I felt like that was probably gonna bite me in the ass later on but that was a problem for me in the future.

"He said Damon threatened him and he might tell the sheriff about Damon and Stefan."

Oh, that didn't sound so good. "What about them?"

"You know the stuff." I stood up and went to pick up the plastic dishes to throw away. Those weren't recyclable, all the while keeping an eye out for Mrs Lockwood. "He might tell Liz about Damon being a vampire. Well, if that wasn't enough..." Uncle Nate trailed off. He looked conflicted and pained about something. Usually I would ask but nowadays I just let him do whatever he liked. "Mason's a werewolf."

"Huh. Wow. That's something..." I already knew that thanks to his girlfriend Katherine. "How do you feel?" I found myself worrying about him without meaning to. Even if I was a little mad, he was still family.

"Complicated. I mean, on one hand, he's one of the only friends I have in this god-forsaken town but on the other," He sucked in a pained breath and sat down on one of the benches nearby. "I'm afraid."

"Afraid?" I echoed back, a little surprised. "Oh god, you're thinking of—"

"Werewolves are uncharted territories for people like us. Regardless of what you might be, you're still a hunter like us."

"A vampire hunter." I corrected, a little alarmed that he was already concocting plans to kill or maim one of his best friends. "We're not taking out werewolves. No. We don't do that."

"Because we didn't know about them. I'm not saying we're gonna go hunt them but...it's better to have a...uh...contingency plan. Look Mason said he killed someone."