𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟸: 𝙱𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚋𝚘𝚊𝚛𝚍 𝙹𝚞𝚗𝚐𝚕𝚎

Elena walked back and forth

Elena walked back and forth. Now and then, she would loudly sigh and turn to stare at me to try and make sense of what she had found a few days ago.

Her revelation of her birth made her move in with me for a while. Well, it was like two days but still. Not that I minded. My house was big, the problem was that Jenna would drop by every few hours to check up on her and say how sorry she was. And every single time, I or uncle Nate would have to personally tell her some stupid lie instead of telling her that Elena didn't want to talk to her. That was the problem.

Uncle Nate had also resorted to complaining that his friendship with Jenna was dying because of this and it totally had nothing to do with his constant disappearances on her.

I rolled my eyes and uncrossed my legs, laying down on my side. I got up a little, putting my right hand on my cheek for support to stare at Elena with a bored expression.

"You're going to drill holes in my floor—and it's polished rosewood." I exclaimed boredly.

Elena stopped pacing and quickly apologized and took a seat on one of the armchairs in my room, folding her arms around herself as she did so.

"...Aren't you being a little dramatic?" I asked, checking my freshly manicured nails.

She scoffed in response. "Dramatic? Ava, Jenna and my parents lied to me. I'm not a Gilbert. I'm not being dramatic..." She trailed off, biting her lips and scrunching her face in deep thought.

"You're also gonna get wrinkles at this rate if you keep making that face. Wrinkles are not cute." I got up from my bed and reached over to the night stand to grab my rose colored water bottle.

"My looks are the least of my worries, Ava." She bit back, rocking back and forth.

Katherine's psychotic face flashed through my mind. "Well I would argue..." I took a swing of water and dabbed my mouth dry. "Anyways, how do you know you're not a Gilbert? Because you're adopted?"

Elena got up and strolled over to my bed, crashing into it, flat. She got up and folded her arms against herself again. I took a seat next to her without a word.

"I'm adopted. The chances of me being a Gilbert is impossible—"

"—You don't know that."

"Yes. I do." She retorted with a sad smile.

"Come on. What are the chances that mom and dad—no Miranda and Grayson took me in from another Gilbert family and why would they give me away. It doesn't make sense..." She looked down and fiddled with her hands.

"It also doesn't make sense that my birth certificate says something else and the truth is..." She sighed, too tired to finish her words.

I pursed my lips and debated in my head whether or not to point out the fact her father was a doctor and doctors can change medical documents to their liking. There was also the fact that on our family archival records, it listed Elena as a Gilbert.