𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟺: 𝙻𝚒𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚎

"Hey Bon, it's me again for the hundredth time

"Hey Bon, it's me again for the hundredth time."

I sucked in a breath while I locked my car and started walking towards the grill. The cold winter air cut into my exposed hands like knives as I shivered violently.

I continued. "Is everything okay? You've been radio silent since your date." Throwing my curled hair back, I pushed the door to grill. "Call me. I'm worried." I ended the call and started scanning the half empty grill for a sign of my perky blonde best friend.

Caroline sat alone in a booth, playing around with a strand of her hair while staring at her boyfriend with a lovestruck smile that almost made me puke. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved those two together.

Matt caught my eye as he waved, one-handed before resuming his work. Guess, he was still on the clock. I simply nodded in response, still too tired from last night's mess to muster any energy for any social interactions. Caroline was lucky I even decided to get out of bed for her. I huffed and plastered on a smile for the cheerleader who was waving me over to her with a huge smile on her face.

"Ava!" She squealed in greeting as she engulfed me in a hug. For once, I welcomed her hugs. Reluctantly, I hugged her back. "Where have you been?" She let go and sat back down.

"Schoolwork...and other stuff." I replied as I loosened the belt on my short burgundy leather trench coat before taking it off. Carefully, I put it off to the side and pulled the sleeves of my black turtleneck sweater.

Caroline narrowed her eyes at my response. "What kind of stuff?" I blew out a breath, opening and closing my mouth, trying to think of an excuse. She leaned in and stared at me hard, her teal eyes bore into my light brown eyes. "...Is it the witchy kind-of stuff?" She whispered with a hand over her mouth.

I pulled back and rolled my eyes. "That's Bonnie's thing. Not mine, Care."

"Hey, I get points for guessing."

"Guessing wrong."

"There was an effort."

"Poor effort."

"I tried. I'm not psychic like Bonnie."

"You're right." I retorted with a sarcastic smile. Caroline scoffed, luckily forgetting what we were talking about. She looked at Matt who was working around us for support. Matt shrugged, gesturing to his wrist and the large clock behind the bar. She huffed again.

I snorted. "Guess Matt agrees with me." Smirking, I twirled my hair.

"Silence is not an agreement." She retorted.

"Anyways, speaking of Bonnie, have you heard from her?" I questioned as Matt placed a mug of hot mocha and a plate of brownies in front of me. I mouthed a quick thanks to him before refocusing on my best friend.