𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟾: 𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚢'𝚜 𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚛

"Vicki?" I swallowed nervously as the Sheriff looked at me questioningly from her seat

"Vicki?" I swallowed nervously as the Sheriff looked at me questioningly from her seat. She stood in front of me with her desk in between us.

I watched her nervously, biting my lips to force down the urge to tell the truth.

"I saw her yesterday at the carnival. She was dressed as a vampire, looked really sketchy." The sheriff nodded and gestured to continue. "That was the last I saw of her, I was kinda all over the place trying to keep the carnival going."

Light poured through the huge window the Sheriff sat in front of, illuminating the room. It was pretty but the heavy atmosphere in the room made it harder for me to breathe, let alone enjoy the view. It also didn't help that the Sheriff sat in front of the windows, stared at me with narrowed and suspicious eyes.

Sheriff Forbes picked up a piece of paper and turned it in her hands. "Well according to some members of the student council, you went home early." She glanced at me.

"Unannounced."

I breathed out and nodded.

"Yeah. I went home and now I have my voicemail full of people asking me where I went." I smiled tightly. "I had a huge migraine last night, so I went home. That and someone ruined my outfit. So I went to get changed but the headache got worse, started bleeding from my nose and coughing up blood." I stopped fiddling with my bloodstone necklace and looked at her.

Sheriff Forbes leaned back and started writing all of this down. I watched as she got up and poured me some water, passing it to me.

"Here. For you."

I took a drink from the glass.

Sheriff Forbes relaxed and turned back to look at her notes. "Better?" She asked. I nodded with a tight smile and tried to carry on.

"Matt Donavan said you told him Vicki was on 'some kind of drugs'?" She leaned forward. "Now I understand you've been close with the Donavans since your return and I'm happy to see you support them but was Vicki really on drugs?"

I nodded and drank again from the vervain water. "Yeah..." I breathed out. "Actually no...I don't know." I was confused about whether or not to tell the truth.

She gave me a comforting look and tried to coax me to tell the truth. "Ava, is someone telling you to lie Vicki?"

Yes.

I wanted to say yes but I held my tongue. Instead I just stared blankly at the empty glass.

"Don't worry 'bout 'them' finding out." She said quietly. "You can trust me."

"Liz." I called out, grabbing her attention. "No one's telling me to lie." I said quietly.

The Sheriff turned around so fast to look at me. She opened her mouth to say something when her eyes flickered to amber.