Dale leads the way and we all go up to the meadow to see Jim.

When we reach the clearing, I stand up front with Dale and Shane.

Jim continues to dig, not even stopping to look at us when we arrive. He is covered in sweat and he looks a bit red from being out in the sun.

I wonder how long he's been out here..

I look down at his work and my blood runs cold.

Okay, now I see the problem.

Jim is digging graves.

"Hey, Jim?" Shane says, tilting his head to the side. "Why don't you hold up alright, just give us a second man, please?"

Jim sighs, sounding annoyed at the interruption. He drives the shovel into the dirt and turns to Shane.

"Whaddya want?" he asks, keeping his voice light and chirpy, like he isn't out here digging death beds.

"We're just a little concerned man, that's all.." Shane says, keeping his voice calm. "Dale says you've been out here for a while."

"So?"

"So, why you diggin?" Shane asks him. "You headin' to China?" he adds with a laugh.

"What's it matter? I'm not hurtin' anyone." Jim replies, chirpy tone gone. He plucks the shovel out of the dirt and continues digging.

"Yeah, except maybe yourself. It's a hundred degrees today- you can't keep this up."

"Watch me." Jim replies bluntly.

It's not like him to speak this way. He's never rude or blunt and he never gives any attitude.

I'm getting more and more concerned for him by the second.

"Jim, you're scarin' people. You're scarin' my son and Carol's daughter." Lori speaks up from behind me.

"They got nothin' to be scared of- What the hell, people? I'm out here by myself. Why don't you just go and leave me the hell alone?" Jim says.

He sounds annoyed and exhausted.

I share a concerned glance with Shane.

"Maybe just take a little break." I suggest softly. "Get some shade, some food and water."

"I tell you what, maybe in a little bit, I'll come out here, I'll help you myself." Shane offers. "Just tell me what it's about."

Jim continues to ignore him.

"Why don't you just go ahead and give me that shovel?" he suggests, stepping towards Jim.

"Or what?" Jim questions, as he stands up straight, looking down at Shane with a glare.

"There is no or what." Shane answers calmly. "I'm asking you. I'm coming to you and I'm asking you. Please. I don't want to have to take it from you."

"And if I don't? Then what? Then you're gonna beat my face in like Ed?"

My lips part and my eyes widen in surprise at Jim's words.

"Y'all seen his face, huh? Or what's left of it." he continues, addressing the group before looking back to Shane. "See now, that's what happens when someone crosses you."

Shane looks down, giving his head a little shake.

He puts his hands on his hips and shoots Jim a glare. "That was different, Jim." he says, lowly.

"You weren't there." I speak up. "Ed was out of control. He was hurting his wife-"

"That is their marriage, that is not his." Jim replies.