"What! Did you speak to him? Where? Can I meet him someday? Do you know where I can meet him?" Saratu bombarded her with questions. This girl.
" You know I work at his elder brother's law firm and I coincidentally met him today. And you can meet him in his father's palace. That's for sure." Mariya answered.

Fareeda knocked on Mariya's door and entered."Mariya, they are here and you two are wanted downstairs." She informed them and left. God. That was it
She suddenly started to feel nervous. She was going to meet the royals of Kano again but this time as the would-be daughter-in-law of the family. Will she be accepted into the family? Well, they wouldn't have gathered here in her house if they didn't want her. She coaxed herself into believing that she had nothing to worry about.

She reached downstairs and she had to greet all the men in the pavilion before she went to that of the women.
She got to the center of the pavilion and curtsied the Hausa way.
Most of the men were munching on dates and other snacks that were brought to them. She gained their attention by squatting, signifying that she had come to pay respects to them.
"Sannun ku da zuwa,majalisar sarauta." (Hello and welcome, the royal council.)
She greeted traditionally as expected of her
They exchanged pleasantries and she got up to leave but then made eye contact with him.
What on earth was he doing in her house?
Zayn. She looked carefully, and he had Emraan and Eskander sitting beside him on a three-sitter sofa, just beside Hassan. They looked disappointed. She shouldn't be surprised because she was getting married to their cousin. She found it hard to believe she was going to become family with Zayn but as long she had Hassan with her, there was nothing to be scared of.

Emraan managed to give her a wave and Zayn just stared at her blankly. She flashed Hassan a smile before leaving for the women's pavilion. There, she greeted the women and exchanged pleasantries with them just like she had done before. She noticed the presence of her aunties and cousins who had come over to their house. She met Hassan's mother and the woman didn't even spare her a look. She seemed hostile. She didn't seem to like Mariya. Mariya made a mental note to talk to Hassan about it. She chatted for a while with her cousins and the other people from the palace who had come with the procession. They had to admit that Mariya was the ideal wife Hassan needed. A date was decided on by the men after careful analysis of schedules and conveniences. The wedding is going to be in two months. People thought it was too early but with that, they won't have to wait for months like others do. After all, why delay such a blessing? The royal family has offered to sponsor the wedding so Mariya's family doesn't stress too much about the wedding.

It was dusk and Zayn, Eskander, Emraan, and Hassan were getting ready to leave Mariya's house. The four of them stayed back for a while after the procession had left for the palace. Zayn was seated in the driver's seat of his car, his hands resting on the steering wheel while waiting for the others to settle down. They were talking to Fareed and Fareeda who had escorted them to their car.
Zayn had his eyes on Mariya who was leaning against the railing of her balcony. She was staring at Hassan who was talking to her brother. Zayn had a notion that Hassan wasn't the right man for her. The guy changes his girlfriends like the way he does to his clothes. She was too good to be cursed with a man like him, honestly.
He forgot about Hassan and focused intently on Mariya. The setting sun only added more grace to her melanin-filled skin. She looked breathtaking. Too bad for her though
Wait... Why did he even care? It was inappropriate to eye his cousin's woman that way. It was utterly wrong and he found himself repenting immediately.
Mariya noticed that Zayn was staring at her and she rolled her eyes at him. Strangely, that brought a smile to his face. He quickly lowered his gaze knowing he had taken in enough already.
Fareed and his twin bid the four men goodbye and proceeded into the house as Zayn drove their car out of the house.