00 | Prologue

I sit opposite my Father, my Mother, and next to my little sister at the dinner table. My Mother made a huge dinner for just the four of us which meant that we must be celebrating something.

My Father had the biggest smile on his face while he sat at the table starring at my Mother then turning to me. "Son, we have something to discuss." My Father spoke up. I gazed up at him curiously with a questioning look.

He continued "As you know, your Father is a very successful man my boy, and he built an empire so that one day you can lead it. Your Mother and I won't always be around to take care of you and your sister, and in those times, the only person you will have left in this world is your younger sister." I nodded in acknowledgment, still not understanding what my Father meant.

"We will train you son, train you to become the most feared, ruthless Don in Chicago. You will protect your sister and this Empire that our family have worked hard to build. I can see that you are a Salvatore, my son." My Father and Mother were looking at me expectantly, with a proud smile on their faces. I will become the most feared, ruthless Don in Chicago.

I spent weeks letting my father's words sink into my mind. I've sat and watched him take the lives of innocent and guilty people with no remorse.

My father wanted to keep Aurora, my sister, far away from the mafia. But made sure to keep me as close as possible. He trained me for years until I became a replica of himself. A machine built to feel no emotion, and to kill with no remorse.

My father did the unexpected one night and killed the Morelli's eldest son. The Morelli's were just one more mafia joined in line by the rest in Chicago.

When my father said that he built an empire, he wasn't lying, he built a reputation for the Salvatore's.
One which all the mafia's feared, but you would always get that one person that acts out of stupidity, and that happened to be the Morelli's.

Morelli's youngest son killed my father. It was a shock to everyone, mostly because no one would of dared to make such a move without knowing the consequences that would follow. We would make them pay.

My first kill happened that same night. I watched the blood drain from Morelli's little boy, and I did exactly what my father taught me to do. Kill with no remorse or emotion.

After I lost my father, I became the man of the house, and the Don of our mafia, our empire. I brought millions in every year and upheld the Salvatore name up high. I was the king of Chicago. My father would have been so proud.

I thought that I made my mother proud too. But I was wrong. She came to me one night and told me that this wasn't the life she wanted for me. She wanted me to become successful yes, but not involved in this dark world that comes with the mafia.

She explained to me all the stories of how my father and her fell in love, and that how my sister and I were the reason she looked forward to life. I listened to her because it was something important to her, i'd do anything to see my mother happy.

I searched for a decent wife, and that's when I found, all too willing. Cecilia. I made her father a proposal which he gladly accepted. Aurora grew up and so did I. After Cecilia became pregnant with our first child, I decided to removed myself from the heir of my father's mafia.

I gave my position up to one of my Fathers most trusted caporegime, Adriano. No less than I had expected, he ran our empire smoothly, even tho he wasn't of Salvatore blood.

The truth was that even tho my father taught me to feel no emotion. I feared that my precious daughter would grow up and I wouldn't be there to witness it because the dark hole of the mafia might swallow me whole.

Like it did with my father. I had to make a plan to move on from that life and start a new one. Isabella is my motivation.

I stayed low and Aurora joined me. She never wanted that life either, even tho it was our destiny. My mother stays in the mansion we grew up and I made sure that she is protected always.

She couldn't bare to leave that house. But I could. Later on I built a very successful business and became the most wealthiest businessman in New York. All for my daughter.

Even tho I left that life behind, my enemies haven't. As I said, there would always be someone willing to make a stupid move.

So I kept my guard up and remained prepared for any attack that might come. That life would never fully be left behind as long as I am still alive, they would stop at nothing to see my blood shed.

__________

Just a little something to give you guys some insight.

Thank you for reading!
Don't forget to vote and comment.

• Can you guess who's POV this is?