01 | "I love you princess."

╔════════╗
❀  Gabriella  ❀
╚════════╝

The sounds of the birds chirping, the wind wafting through my hair, the fresh air and blue skies, always seemed to calm me down. It brings some peace and tranquility into my disastrous life.

Looking up into the beautiful blue sky, I couldn't help but close my eyes and smile. I can feel my mother looking down over me and cupping my face in her gentle hands as she always used to, giving me a light peck on my forehead.

My mother is the reason why I keep on going and never give up. I wish to soon make her proud to have me as her daughter. It was my promise to her before she had left my life, but never leaving my heart. It's like wherever I am, I can feel the light, the light of her in me.

I am glad to still have my father in my life even tho he brings me much struggles. He took care of me and has been there since the day I was born, and for that I could never repay him. Even through all his drunkenness and sadness that has found its way to his heart, I still see the man I grew up with.

The man I used to laugh with as a little girl, the man who taught me how to ride a bike and helped me steal the cookies my mother would make and specifically told us to not take. The man that would paint flowers and sunsets with me in the backyard on a blank canvas.

Ever since my Mother had passed away, my father had lost his path. He sought something that would take away the pain that was brought to him after losing the woman he truly loved. That something was alcohol.

He soon found himself at a casino and gambling became his daily activity. At first I thought it was a way to cope with my Mother's death, but just when I thought that maybe he had gotten better, he didn't.

At twenty seven years old, I now work two jobs and hardly have any free time or money to spend on myself. I give my father money monthly which he gambles out and I pay the rent of an apartment i'm hardly in because I work 24/7. I had to sadly put a pause on my studies to help support my father.

I studied literature and art, which I had to give up. I also love reading, it takes me out of reality. I would make sure to always read a page or two in my free time.

I was never popular in school. I was what they liked to call "the nerdy type." I wore glasses and was always seen with my head stuck in a book.

My love for reading started when I was 8 years old, when my mother bought me my first book, and ever since then that love has just grown. Reading feels like I still have a part of my mother with me. Something that I wish to hold onto forever.

Even tho life sometimes never works in my favour, I always keep a genuine smile on my face and remain grateful to still be able to wake up and look forward to a good day. No matter what I had to endure, I made sure to grab any task with open hands and have confidence in myself.

While my thoughts overtake my mind, I walk down the busy street of New York, heading towards the diner I worked at as a waiter during the day.

I pass a few stores and saw a couple holding hands and staring into each other's eyes as if it was something magical. But for me, it was something foreign and I find myself wishing for the same from time to time.

I opened the glass door of the diner, hearing the ting sound from the small bell above me. Stepping in, I could hear the soft chatter amongst the people and the aroma of coffee making its way through my nose.

The diner wasn't that full today, probably about four people were seated, already attended to. I took my coat off and hung it on a hanger while grabbing my white apron. I start by refilling the coffee machine and humming a soft tune.