Chapter Ten:

—•—
Scared?
—•—

One step, two steps, another step? How many more?
That's what Liam thought as he leaned on the ship railing on the port side of the ship. His eyes were closed so he could listen to the water hit the side of the boat. He listened to the water to flood out the several steps being made by the crew. But the few steps he could hear sounded as they were coming closer. And then they stopped. Liam listened closely but he didn't hear anything. He peaked one of his eyes open and he saw the silhouette of a man standing next to him. He rubbed his eyes more and thats when he could see Jean standing next to him.
"Afternoon." Liam spoke. Jean pointed to the bow. The ship went quiet. Liam rose an eyebrow, showing his curiosity. He stood up and looked out the bow. Just on the horizon, he could see three identical ships.
"Are they Istan ships?" Jean asked. Liam squinted his eyes to see better.
"Lemme see your glass." Liam said, holding his hand out. Jean lifted his shirt up and pulled out a spyglass. He put it in Liam's hand. Liam walked over to the mast where the ladder was and he made his way up to the crows nest. Corey walked out of the captains quarters out of curiosity, seeing how it was quiet. Jean and the crew were staring out at the ships. Corey walked over to Jean.
"Jean? What's going on?" Corey asked. Jean pointed out at the ships. Corey looked at the ships on the horizon. He immediately grew worried.
"Liam's checking if they are Istan boats or not." Jean said.
Liam pulled the spyglass out far and looked out it. He stared at the ships and then he saw the Istan war flag on it. He quickly pushed the spyglass together and he grabbed a rope that dangled through the breeze. He slid down the rope to the ground.
"Istan ships." Liam said. Corey flinched. Jean looked at Corey.
"You go stay inside with the king and prince. Liam can show you a false wall inside there. There is no doubt that they'll board the Treasured Gold to inspect us. Keep them quiet." Jean demanded. Liam gave Jean the spyglass again and he grabbed Corey's arm. He pulled him over to the captains quarters.
"The rest of you! Back to work. And act as you don't know who else is on the Treasured Gold!" Jean yelled out to the crew.
"Aye yiy, captain!" The crew yelled out as they got back to work quickly.
Liam and Corey went into the captains quarters quickly. Corey rushed to Remmy and Alexander while Liam went behind the large brown desk which was Jean's.
"My king, I need you and prince Alexander to go hide behind a false wall." Corey pleaded. Remmy stood up.
"What's wrong?" Remmy asked nervously.
"Istan ships ahead." Liam said, grabbing a handle, that looked just like the wall, and pulling it up. Remmy quickly picked up Alexander. Liam pushed the false wall over, revealing an actual bedroom. Corey stayed still for a moment when he saw it. He'd only seen Jean's childhood bedroom once, and out of confusion, that bedroom looked exactly the same.
"Come on." Liam said. Corey shook his head to regain correct consciousness. He pushed Remmy over to the bedroom. Once inside the bedroom, Liam quickly wondered around looking for their belongings. He didn't find any so he walked back to the bedroom. Remmy set Alexander down on the bed.
"Stay quiet." Liam demanded. Remmy turned to Liam.
"Won't they kill you for being Marguerite civilians?" Corey asked. Liam lifted the handle to shut the door.
"What are you talking about Corey? We aren't anyones civilians." Liam said. Corey watched the false wall shut. Liam locked the false wall door and turned the light out. He walked back outside the quarters and walked back over to where he was sitting before. He sat back down and started to listen to the ocean again.
The Treasured Gold continued its course down the ocean current, headed straight towards the Istan ships which, in all cases, they will definitely board the ship. When it got closer to the Istan ships, the men on the first ship got to the port side of the ship and watched the Treasured Gold go passed. Jean acted as if they were ghosts. The next ship was different. They all were in a position as if they'd been prisoners. Jean and the crew grew curious. And then the next ship came clear. It had Istan soldiers holding guns up. The crew quickly got to the ground for cover. Jean didn't move. The ships were stopped and the third ship dropped a board across from their ship to the Treasured Gold. Three Istan solders came across and held guns up to the crews faces. Jean leaned on the helm. Liam opened his eyes and looked at the three soldiers. He pulled his satchel closer. Finally, a forth Istan soldier came across which had a generals metal.
"Ahoy!" The Istan general called out. The crew started to laugh. The general had a nice smile but his smile faded quickly.
"Ahoy?" Brigg laughed historically.
"What are you, a pirate?!" Max laughed out. The general looked around the ship. He studied the men. Then, his eyes moved to Liam.
"Who are you? You aren't dressed in rags like the rest of this crew." The general spoke out. Liam looked up at the general.
"I'm a traveler, just looking for access to travel." Liam said with a smile. The generals attention slowly moved up to Jean.
"And you must be the captain?" The general called out, questioning Jean. Jean smiled as he leaned on the railing in front of the helm.
"Yep, and now that my crew has said heyo, get off my ship." Jean said nicely. The general smiled.
"Will do! But first we gotta look around ya?" The general said. Jean stood straight and walked over to the stairs. He walked down the stairs and up to the general.
"My ship, my choice. Get off." Jean said, crossing his arms and showing his dominance. The general glared at Jean and he pulled his sword out. Jean quickly pulled his sword out and the two swords clashed together. The other three Istan soldiers ran off to the second deck, to the captain's quarters, and below deck. The three of them searched the ship well. Jean realized his mistake in not dodging. But the general made the mistake too. The crew all held their swords, pistols, or knives up to the general. Liam watched them all. The three soldiers came back.
"Nothing." One of them said. The general slowly put his sword down.
"Then we can leave." The general spoke. Jean put his sword away.
"Off." Jean said. The general and the three soldiers walked over the board. And before they could pull the board back in, Max and Dillion pushed it into the ocean. It sank then floated right back to the top. The general couldn't help but just glare at Jean as the ship began to float down the current again. Jean crossed his arms.
"Don't let the royals out until we are at least a mile away." Jean demanded. Liam nodded his head.
"Alright, back to work!" Jean yelled out. The crew got right back to work. Liam looked at Jean.
"Nervous?" Liam asked. Jean turned to Liam.
"Nah." Jean said. Liam smiled and closed his eyes. He held the satchel close to his chest. Jean looked at the satchel then remembered what he told Corey two nights ago.
Liam let them out later and they were free to roam on the shop again. But it made Jean nervous each time he made eye contact with or even saw Corey. Remmy on the other hand, had started to grow seasick. And Alexander was cheery. But he'd sleep most of the time.