Chapter Four:

—•—
Traitor
—•—

Corey walked towards the exit of the castle. It had only been two days ago since Becker took Remmy to the pub. It was the evening and Corey was getting ready to leave. Becker walked up to Corey before he could leave.
"Evening Corey!" Becker said. Corey looked at Becker.
"Evening." Corey said. Becker smiled.
"Let's leave together." Becker said.
"Sure." Corey said. The two servants left the castle and into the cold night. They walked through the snow and across the land bridge.
"We are friends, but I don't know you well." Corey said.
"I guess that's the same as you. I only know that you have an older brother and a mother and that you don't drink." Becker said. Corey glanced at Becker then pointed over at the cottage on the beach.
"That's where I live, with my mother." Corey said. Becker looked at the cottage by following Corey's hand.
"Adorable." Becker said.
"Shut it." Corey said. Becker let out a chuckle.
"Well, I live in a house on the outskirts of North Bridge with my sister and her husband." Becker explained, pointing over at the trees near the end of the village.
"Don't you have a wife?" Corey asked.
"No." Becker said.
"What? You don't have a wife?!" Corey asked with confusion in his tone.
"Don't be like that Corey. I'm 32. I had a wife." Becker said. Corey looked at Becker.
"Had-" Corey started.
"Yeah. When I was 18, I married an Istan woman. At 22 was when the war started. She wanted us to leave to Istan and I wanted us to stay here. In the end, we just split up." Becker explained. Corey made a frown.
"I'm sorry." Corey said. Becker shrugged his shoulders.
"I'm sure it was for the best. But that was- well, 10 years ago." Becker said. Corey looked at Becker.
"Hey, wanna come by my mothers? She makes good food." Corey said. Becker looked at Corey and smiled.
"Sure." Becker said nicely. Corey smiled and they turned towards the beach.

   They walked down the beach until they reached the cottage. Corey opened the door and let Becker in.
"Mother, I'm home! And I've got company." Corey called out. Becker looked around the small house.
"Company?" Marilyn questioned, poking her head out from the kitchen.
"Company?" Liam questioned afterwards, poking his head out from under Marilyn's head. Becker and Corey looked at Marilyn then Liam.
"Mother, wanna make some food for my friend here?" Corey asked.
"Oh, yes of course! Make yourself at home." Marilyn pleaded as she went back into the kitchen.
"Here, lemme get your coat." Corey said. Becker took his coat off and handed it to Corey. Corey hung it up on a coat rack along with his own coat. Liam studied Becker for a moment.
"Hey, you were with that royal dude at the pub the other night." Liam said. Corey and Becker quickly looked at Liam. They finally realized that Liam was on the floor for his head to be that low to the ground. But they were also shocked.
"How'd you know that?" Becker asked. Liam stood up and leaned on the doorway.
"His clothes. He paid fo me and Nate's drinks and I jus' happened to eye his clothes he twas wearing. Prettay fancy and colorful." Liam explained. Becker looked at Corey. Corey made his eyes squint at Liam.
"Liam, I own colorful clothes. That wouldn't have mattered." Corey said.
"Oh but'd would Corey. You be poor. You pro'lly only wear your colored clothes to nice places. Nod'a pub. And most athis village would pro'lly do the same. Cept, maybe not dem people whom live in that pretty castle there up." Liam explained, pointing out the window that he could see the castle out of. Becker looked at Corey.
"You said your brother was dumb." Becker said.
"I thought he was." Corey said, looking at Becker. Becker looked at Corey. Then he and Corey looked at Liam. Liam was practically glaring at the two men. Marilyn walked out with a large, warm bowl of corn, pork, and beans in a soup. Becker and Corey smiled. Marilyn set the bowl on a table next to the window that Liam slept next to. Liam sat down in the chair he slept in the nights before. Corey and Becker sat down in two more seats. Marilyn went back to the kitchen and came back with some bowls and spoons.
"Dig in boys!" Marilyn said. Liam took a bowl and did as his mother said. He got his bowl of soup and looked at the castle out the window as he ate. Becker and Corey also ate. But they watched Liam as they ate.
"So, your name is Liam yeah?" Becker asked.
"Tis'." Liam said, glancing at Becker.
"Y'know, I haven't asked ya. Where have you been the last ten years?" Corey asked. Liam looked back to the castle.
"On a pirate ship, raidin' ports with ma good friend." Liam explained. Corey and Becker immediately grew curious and suspicious.
"You're a pirate?!" Corey questioned. Liam looked at Corey.
"Nah, ma friends are. I jus' watch." Liam explained, looking back at the castle.
"What friend?" Corey asked.
"Jean Black." Liam said. Corey blinked.
"Hell, that's why you are so smart eh? Jean was a lunatic when he was 15. I hardly think he's changed." Corey said.
"He hasn't." Liam snickered. Corey and Becker looked at each other.
"Why'd you run away?" Becker asked. Corey and Liam looked at Becker.
"Who ya to that king?" Liam asked, pointing at the castle.
"His head servant." Becker said. Liam used his context clues.
"That royal twas' King Remington?" Liam asked. Becker frowned.
"Yeah." Becker said. Liam crossed his arms and looked at the castle.
"Then I can't tell ya why I'd run away." Liam said.
"Mm?" Becker questioned.