Chapter 12: Forging Alliances, Marriage Proposals

Start from the beginning

"Prince Aeonar," Corlys greeted.

"Welcome, Lord Corlys," Aeonar returned the gesture. "I take it you received my messages earlier these past few days?"

"We did. If that warning had come a tad later, then four ships carrying my banners would have been lost to the Crabfeeder. But this time we were better prepared. We've also known what it cost as well."

"Yes. Korban was one of my best agents. The others were forced to withdraw to avoid being compromised. Still... they knew their duty and knew the risks of being employed in my service." Aeonar glanced to observe Vaelor off in the distance, encircling a particular spot in the Narrow Sea's deepest areas. "Fascinating creatures, our dragons. He grows larger by the day. They were never meant to be confined for the rest of their lives."

Both Corlys and his wife gave the customary bow to Aeonar. When they rose, the daughter of Prince Aemon fixed her gaze upon her second cousin.

"I have been dealing with dragons since before you were born, Prince Aeonar. There is little to naught in their behavior that can surprise me." Rhaenys said stiffly though without offense.

Alwyn, who stood far to the side observing, studied the princess. She had been the Old King Jaehaerys's firstborn grandchild, and though she was getting on in years she was still a strikingly beautiful woman, due to the combination of Targaryen and Baratheon blood that flowed in her veins. Lord Boremond of Storm's End, her maternal uncle, had always been a strong friend and ally to the Queen Who Never Was.

"We were honored to receive your invitation," Corlys said. "As well as surprised, most of the entire realm had thought you vanished from the face of existence. Just where were you hiding?"

"Uh uh uh, Lord Corlys," Aeonar waved a finger, "a good spymaster never reveals his secrets, nor does he leave a trail for others to follow. But if it will make you feel better, I... had to get away from this place. I was not myself for a long time after my mother's funeral. I needed time and space to clear my head. Not like your Nine Voyages, to be sure, but there were other things to keep me occupied." Aeonar glanced at them both. "I was hoping to discuss some business with you which I hope would mend the rift between our two houses and renew our alliance."

"As would I. None of us desire war. Might I speak plainly?"

"That hasn't stopped you before. If you have something on your mind, best get it out in the open. We are away from unwanted eyes and ears, after all."

"Since your absence, I fear that the eyes of our enemies have been fixed on the Red Keep. The Queen has passed. Your... unexpected return has unsettled some, but your swift action in driving off Daemon from Dragonstone hasn't gone unnoticed as well." Corlys furrowed. "Even as we speak, a foreign power continues to maintain a presence in our most critical shipping lane. The Stepstones have grown into a conflagration, yet others on the council still dither about court business and do nothing."

"Yet why come to me with this and not father?"

"When the king told us he was naming you Master of Whisperers, I had my doubts. I thought of you as young and inexperienced. You were only fifteen. But, with the information you provided... I admit I was wrong. You've been the only ally Driftmark has had in a long time."

"Of course, my lord. Despite our past misgivings, I value Driftmark's importance in bringing stability to the realm and acknowledge House Velaryon's role in maintaining a strong fleet," Aeonar nodded. "Our houses have always maintained good relations before the Great Council created such an... unpleasant rift. Targaryen, Velaryon, Celtigar... we are the last of Old Valyria, yet only we are the masters of our elements: the skies and the seas."

"You speak as if you are a poet," Rhaenys observed.

"Poetry was never my forte, Princess Rhaenys," Aeonar shook his head. "But you know what I meant."