Stars

Normal AU
Ray's POV

---

I shouldn't have followed you.
I didn't have to see it happen.
I never wanted to.
But I saw it.
I'll never be able to forget it.

I'll always remember how we'd always go out late at night to watch the stars.

"Ooo, that one's so shiny, Ray!"

I'd explain to you how starts worked. I'd take hold of your arm and move it around to show you a constellation.

You'd get confused and ask me how a certain shape resembles a certain animal or object.

No matter how strange they seemed to you, you still found them mesmerising and you enjoyed spending your nights with me. Of course, I did too.

I'll forever remember how you would wake me up so we could go observe the starts together.

"Wakey wakey, Ray! I wanna see the stars! The moon is somewhat red too!"

"(Y/N), it's three in the morning."

"I know. Three in the morning is a wonderful time for stargazing, lets go!"

"(Y/N) my arm!"

"Oh shush you're gonna wake everyone up and all the kids are going to start wailing all cause of you. I'm barely even gripping your arm you drama queen!"

"Yeah yeah, now stop complaining before you wake everyone up instead. Be quiet."
"(Y/N)! Tiptoe!"

"Woops, my bad! These slippers are a little too large for my feet."

"Dumbass."

"Am not!"

"Are too."

You'd always want to get a midnight snack with you.

"Ray, before we go outside, can I grab the cookie jar really quickly?"

"If your objective is to slip off the counter and wake somebody up, go ahead."

"Okay then, you go get it!"

"With pleasure."

..

"Goodness Ray did you seriously trip?"

"We don't talk about anything that just happened."

"Oh yes we will! I told you I should've gone myself. Hold the cookie jar."

"Yeah that's what I'm doing."

"I know, just hold it. Where did you fall?"

"My head. Why-"
"Why are you rubbing my head?"

"So a bruise won't form, silly. Your head will feel much better."

"...T-thanks..."

This was our nightly routine, and I loved every second of it. I would always wish our nights could be this peaceful forever.

Well, forever isn't a long period of time. All good things must come to an end.

"(Y/N) are you okay? You've been so silent for a while."

"Yeah, I'm alright."

"Your tone of voice says otherwise."

"Fine, you caught me. I've been adopted by someone."

"A-adopted?"

"Mhm, and I'll really miss everyone, especially you Ray. I wanted to thank you for being my very best friend. I have no idea how I'll survive the outside without you. Heck, I don't even know if I'll be able to survive the demons lurking behind the gate!" You chuckled.

I looked at you in disbelief.

"You... knew?"

"Yeah, since I was three. I also know that you know." 

You smiled sadly while saying this. 

My heart was breaking into a billion pieces.

"We can find a way, you can avoid them! I know you can!"

"Me? I'm only a puny human compared to those big, ugly creatures. I have no chance of survival. Well at least I'll be watching you from the stars! If you ever continue to look at them, you know I'll be up there."

You were being too optimistic about this. "No, (Y/N). You will live."

"Yeah, if pigs fly. Well, Ray. I'll miss you a little bit too much." 

Suddenly your lips met my cheek.

I had no words.

"I'll miss you too."

I hugged you tightly so you couldn't leave me just yet. The fact you had already accepted your fate made me tremble from inside.

"May we stay like this for a while?"

"Of course."

Even after your final day in the house, I couldn't stand watching you close the door behind you and leave. I followed you to the gate instead.

"It's a shame you have to leave so early, dear. You haven't reached the age of twelve yet." 

"Well if I want Ray to live, it must be done. You better not ship him out, mama.

"Why of course not. A deal is a deal."

A deal? I thought. Did you sacrifice yourself for my sake? My thoughts were then interrepted, you had reached the gate.

I don't want to describe the scene that enfolded before me. In the blink of an eye your life was taken away and a white flower pierced into your stomach, and it turned red in less than a second.

I shouldn't have followed you.

I still stargaze each night. It's different from the night's I'd spend stargazing with you, but at least I can still see you each day.

I shouldn't have followed you.
I didn't have to see it happen.
I never wanted to.
But I saw it.
I could have tried to save you, but I had no time.
I'll never be able to forget it.

---

I'm gonna go take a nap, I'm tired.
Have a great day/night! Thanks for reading :)