Turn Around

|Logan's POV|

Junior year is officially over and I was hype to get to Florida. Mom and dad let me go with Uncle Zach and Aunt Kylie right around Memorial Day. Teo would be coming as well, eventually. Right now he had his head so far up his girlfriend's Britney's ass that football wasn't a focus anymore. He was down in the dumps for a while when he went back, but meeting Britney put him in a better mood. Only downside to that is he hasn't been thinking for himself. She's been in full control.

Don't get me wrong, I know in a relationship you do stupid stuff. I mean, my look at me and Sam. That was a shit show. Still, this is a side of Teo I don't like. I love my cousin like a brother, that's how we've been raised. I've tried to tell him that he's acting differently and pushing everything off for a girl. He tells me to mind my business and that I should just be happy for him. Whatever.

My days were spent doing my 5am workout, going to open up the shop for Mr. Rob then an afternoon training session. Saturdays I worked at Mr. Rob's full time and Sunday was my free day. Uncle Zach told me if I needed a break to let him know.

I had just got out of the shower when I saw I had missed a call from Erica. For her to be calling me this early, something must be up.

Ever since that night in the hospital, she's been taking better care of herself. I mean, it's not like she had a choice. Her dad wasn't putting up with it and now she had my parents checking in on her, too. With all of that, her mom's health continued to decline. I hated to leave her, but she understood. Plus, she scored her an internship starting in July with Uncle Bash in New York. She has relatives there that she'll be staying with. She's been excited and I was happy that's where her focus was. I know she's been down in the dumps, but to see a smile on her face, I was happy.

Here's the thing, after the bullshit with Samantha, I was in no rush to jump into any type of relationship with Erica. We both had feelings for each other, yes, but our friendship was special to me. I don't want to jeopardize that and jump into something. I really care about her and would rather take things slow and wherever we end up, cool.

Calling her back, she answered after a few rings. My heart dropped seeing her tear stained face.

Hey, Logan.

Hey, Erica Everything okay? You don't usually call me this early.

She shook her head.

My mom died last night, Logan.

I felt a sick feeling in my stomach hearing her say that. I wish I could hug her right now.

E, I-I'm so sorry.

She sighed and closed her eyes. I could tell she was holding back more tears.

I wanted to tell you myself. The funeral is going to be sometime next week. When I have the official details, I'll let you and your parents know.

Whenever it is, I'll be there.

She shook her head again.

You, uh, have other things going on and I'll understand if you can't come. I know you're training and working this Summer, so...

That doesn't matter. You're my friend and you're going through a tough time right now. I show up for my people, Erica. I told you that.

I know, I just... I don't want to be a burden to anyone. I already feel like I'm burdening your parents. They both check in on me daily, you know.

What else did you expect? For one, you've built your own bond with both of them. Plus, you passed out in our backyard. They just want to make sure you're good.