~22~

★ ☆ ✦ ✧ ✩ ✶

Heather stepped into the house and Matt closed the door behind her.

''Thank you.'' she gave him a small smile.

''Why are you here?'' he asked.

''Can I just give you a vague reason for now?''

He shrugged. ''Depends how good it is.''

''My mom.''

''That's good enough.'' he said. He thought about the fact their last real conversation was about Heather's mom, and he felt his heart turn over. He could tell she was nervous - her eyes were darting around the room; her hair was a mess and she smelt so strongly of cigarettes - but she still looked gorgeous.

''Thanks.'' she said again. She knew the last conversation they had was about her mom, and she pushed that fact to the back of her mind. She didn't want to think about it. She kept her focus on Matt. He was only his pajamas, but he looked so handsome. He ran his hands through his hair and then walked towards her slightly.

''Are you still mad at me?'' he asked.

''For the dare? Yes.''

''For thinking I know you better than you know yourself.''

She paused. ''No. I shouldn't have told you to fuck yourself...that was rude. I'm sorry.''

He shrugged. ''I probably deserve it.'' he looked towards the kitchen and then back at Heather. ''Chris and Nick are in the kitchen. You wanna hang out?''

Heather sighed. ''Matt-''

He put his hands up in surrender. ''Don't worry, I totally get it. You don't forgive me yet... you being here doesn't change anything...you don't want them getting the wrong idea. They won't.''

''You know they will.'' she said gently.

''I'll explain to them why you're here. They won't ask any questions.''

She wanted to fight him on it, but he had been nice enough to let her in, and so she nodded. ''Fine.''

He walked towards the kitchen, and Heather followed him. Nick and Chris both looked at Matt, and then did a double take when they noticed the girl.

''Heather? What are you doing here?'' Nick asked.

''What's going on?'' Chris asked.

''Don't you want me here?'' she smiled lightly.

''Of course we do!'' Nick stood up and pulled her in for a hug.

Usually, she didn't like hugs, but this was one was needed. She hugged him tightly, blinking back the tears she was holding in. He pulled away and sat back at the kitchen table, pulling out a seat for her.

''Are you okay?'' Chris asked as Matt sat next to him, and Heather took sat next to Nick.

She didn't reply for a few seconds, she just let her gaze rest on Matt. He found her hand under the table and held it encouragingly. He wasn't going to make her say anything she didn't want to, but he wanted her to know none of the triplets would judge her. He expected her to pull her hand away immediately, but she didn't. She held it tightly, squeezing it gently. She looked at Matt for a few more seconds, and then glanced at both Chris and Nick.

''My mom is having an episode so Harry told me I shouldn't go home.'' she muttered.

There was an awkward pause and then Chris spoke. ''Damn. I'm sorry.''

Heather felt her mouth go dry. She knew Chris was just trying to be nice, but this was why she didn't tell people. She hated the look in their eyes, and she hated people thinking they had to treat her like she was fragile because of her home. She hated people being careful what they spoke about, and she hated people feeling sympathetic.