~7~

★ ☆ ✦ ✧ ✩ ✶

''Before you leave this class, I want everybody to come and tell me who their partner is!'' the teacher said loudly, and then allowed the class to go.

Matt threw his backpack over one arm as he stood up and then stopped in front of Heather's desk. She didn't bother standing up, she just looked up at him.

''Are you always going to stalk me, Matthew?'' 

''I'm not stalking you.''

''Then move so I can stand up.''

He smirked slightly as he moved backwards. Heather stood up, throwing her bag over her shoulder, and then followed him to the teacher's desk.

''Me and Heather are partners.'' Matt said.

The teacher looked at the two of them and then sat forward. ''I want equal work going into this project.''

''We know.''

The teacher looked at Heather. ''I know what's happening at home so-''

''I'll be fine. Matthew is going to help me.'' Heather said quickly, cutting her off.

The teacher looked at her for a few seconds and then nodded. ''Okay. The assignment is due 14th November, put your names on it and I'm here if you need me.''

''Thanks, miss.'' Matt smiled lightly.

''We got it.'' Heather said and then walked out of the classroom.

Matt followed her, walking quickly to catch up. ''Heather?''

She slowed when she heard Matt's voice, allowing him to catch her up. ''Yeah?''

''What was she talking about? What's happening at home?'' 

Heather knew he didn't mean anything by asking, he was just asking an innocent question, but it stung. She didn't want to think about her homelife, and Matt bringing it up put a sour taste in her mouth. 

She stopped and looked at him. ''Why would I tell you?''

He stopped, taken aback by her tone for the first time. ''I just thought-''

''Well, you thought wrong.'' Heather sighed. ''Just leave me alone.''

''Heather-''

''Just fuck off!'' she cried and rushed down the hall.

Matt helplessly watched her run down the hall and then turn a corner, out of his sight. He stood there for a few moments in shock. He hadn't meant anything by his questions, and he certainly hadn't meant to upset her. His phone buzzed and he pulled it out, hoping it would be Heather before remembering she didn't have his number, and noticed a text from Alahna. 

He stood there for a few more seconds before sighing and heading to his friends.

-

''Matt's here!'' Alahna grinned as he approached his friends. 

''How was math?'' Nick asked.

''Math was good.'' Matt shrugged.

The friends looked at each other. ''It doesn't seem like it was.'' Elmer said.

''Yeah, you seem pretty bummed.'' Chris said.

''I think I upset Heather.'' 

''The girl you nearly ran over?'' Chris asked.

''She's more than that but...yes.''

''Then go and clear it up.'' Nick patted his brother on the shoulder.