~10~

★ ☆ ✦ ✧ ✩ ✶

Heather looked to George, Dakota and Alahna. ''We'll meet you over there.''

''Okay.'' Dakota nodded.

Matt and Heather walked across the field, away from the group, and then sat down on the grass. They didn't talk or even look at each other for a few moments. Matt looked to the left, whilst Heather looked to the right.

''What's wrong with you?'' Matt asked.

Heather turned her head quickly. ''What the fuck is that supposed to mean?''

''Nothing!'' Matt put his hands up in surrender. ''I meant...what's up? You seem angry with me.''

''You tell me.''

Matt was confused. He didn't understand what had suddenly turned Heather into the leader of the Matt Hate Club, but he didn't like it. He didn't like that she wouldn't look at his face when she spoke. He didn't like that she kept her hands away from him, only moving her fingers to pick at the grass.

''I don't like that you're mad at me.'' Matt admitted.

''Then maybe you should tell me what's going on.'' Heather said, no emotion in her voice.

''Heather, I don't know what you're talking abo-''

''I'm talking about you and Elmer! Whenever he says anything to you, you completely change! You shrink down in your seat, you tap the surface with your fingers, you shake your leg-''

''Heather-''

''You can't even look at me!'' She looked at the boy, making eye contact for the first time. ''You can't even fucking look at me, Matt.''

Matt was quiet. This was the first time he had ever heard Heather call him Matt and, frankly, he didn't like it. Everybody called him Matt, but she called him Matthew. He liked it that way.

''Matt?'' he questioned.

''That's your name.'' she said, looking away from him.

He felt anxiety swirling in his stomach as he cleared his throat. ''What Elmer says has nothing to do with you.''

''Then why can't you look at me?''

''I can.''

''Don't try and feed me bullshit! My whole life is built on bullshit...I can see right through it!''

''I've just not been vibing with Elmer recently.'' Matt said uneasily.

Heather looked at him. ''Why would that mean you can't look at me?''

''Because maybe he'll see that I actually like you! You're fucking cool, Heather and I want to be friends with you so much! I know Nick and Chris will be cool with it, and Alahna obviously will but Elmer...I don't know. I don't want to upset him.''

The blonde girl was quiet as she thought. She studied Matt's face and body language. She didn't believe him 100%, she thought there was more to it than that, but she could see some truth.

''Does Elmer like me?'' she asked.

''As in...?''

''A friend way, idiot.''

''I think so.''

''Then why would he have a problem with us being friends?''

Matt felt uncomfortable. ''I don't know.''

Heather sighed. ''Can I be honest with you?''

''Anytime you want.'' he replied.

''My life is already shit Matt and I don't need you to come in and make it any shittier so, if you're using me, or this is some stupid bet, just... leave me alone.''