~9~

★ ☆ ✦ ✧ ✩ ✶

Matt🤓
Hi

Matt🤓
It's Matt btw

Heather🐈‍⬛
I know that loser

Matt🤓
right... do you want a ride to school?

Heather🐈‍⬛
I'm walking with Dak but thanks

Matt🤓
Okay
Are you coming over after school?
Nick & Chris want you to

Heather🐈‍⬛
Do you want me to?

-

Heather held her phone tightly as she waited for Matt's response. He had seen the message, and the typing bubble had appeared, but it had also disappeared.

And it didn't seem to be coming back.

She sighed, annoyed at herself for even being excited for a response, and put her phone into her pocket.

She heard a knock on her bedroom door and turned quickly. She opened it and Harry came in, shutting the door behind him.

''Hey.'' Heather said as she packed her bag.

''Why are you hanging out with the triplets?'' Harry asked.

Heather turned to look at him. ''Me and Matt are math partners.''

''You were hanging out in a parking lot...Chris and Nick were there! Don't give me that bullshit lie, H.''

''I'm not lying!'' she sighed. ''I don't actually know why they're hanging out with me, but they seem to like me.''

''Are you sure?''

''What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to say they couldn't like me?''

''Obviously not. You know I'm your biggest fan, H, but... don't you find it weird that they have only started talking to you recently? You said it yourself...Matt didn't even know your name.''

Heather was silent. Harry was voicing the exact worry she had, but she had managed to push away. Of course she found it weird. She didn't really understand why the triplets hadn't bothered with her for 4 years and now suddenly they wanted her around. She didn't know why Elmer had seemed off with her, and why Matt was quick to change the subject.

Her hand gripped her phone in her pocket. He still hadn't replied.

''I hope you know you've ruined my day.'' Heather said in a small voice.

Her brother hugged her. ''I'm sorry. It's just that you're my best friend, Heather, and I don't want to see you get hurt. Especially by the triplets.''

''Don't worry. I know you're only looking out for me.'' Heather hugged him.

''Do you need a ride to school?'' he asked.

''I'm walking with Dak-''

''Text her. We'll pick her up.''

Heather smiled. ''Okay.''

-

Harry beeped the horn, and Dakota came rushing out. She opened the car door and climbed into the back. Heather and Dakota had been friends for so long that it was never awkward when Harry was there - Harry was almost like Dakota's adoptive older brother.

Dakota pointed at Heather. ''YOU!''

''Me?'' Heather asked.

''Oh...hang on.'' Dakota looked at Harry. ''Hey, Har.''