~2~

★ ☆ ✦ ✧ ✩ ✶

Matt pushed on the brake as hard as he could, and the van halted to a stop. He sat, shaking, for a few seconds and then began to move. He pulled his seat belt off and opened the van door.

A blonde girl was standing in front of the van, and she looked scared. Matt thought he recognized her, but he didn't know where from. 

''Are you okay?'' he asked.

Heather felt her heart thumping. She hadn't been concentrating when crossing the road until it was too late. She had just heard the screech of brakes and, somehow, she was still alive. She looked at who was talking - and rolled her eyes.

''Oh, great. It's you.''

''Me?'' Matt asked in surprise.

''Can't you drive?'' Heather asked angrily.

''It was the rain, and I was lost in thought-''

''I didn't ask for your backstory.'' 

Matt paused. He thought this girl was rude, but then he did just almost run her over. ''Right. I'm so sorry - are you okay?''

''Just watch where the fuck you're going, Matt.'' she sighed.

''You know my name?''

Heather felt like a knife had stabbed her and twisted, but she refused to show how much that hurt. How much it hurt that somebody she had gone to school with for 4 years didn't know her name. Usually, she would've ignored it but tonight was different. 

''You don't know mine?'' she hit back.

''Should I?'' Matt asked.

She sighed, defeated. ''Just make sure you don't hit anybody else.''

''I didn't hit you, did I?''

''It seems I can't be that lucky. Instead, I have to stand here and have this ridiculously awkward conversation.''

He laughed slightly. ''I'm sorry. Look, do you need a ride?''

''No.'' She tried walking away, but Matt moved in front of her. He was a couple of inches taller than her, and Heather had to look up slightly.

''It's the least I could do. Please let me.'' Matt asked. Truthfully, he didn't want to be alone in his van, and this was the perfect opportunity to stop that.

Heather looked at him for a few seconds and then sighed. ''Fine.''

''Cool.'' Matt climbed back into the driver's seat and Heather walked around to the other door. She climbed into the passenger seat and shut the door behind her. He looked at her. ''Where do you live?''

-

They drove in silence for a few minutes, the only noise coming from the radio. 

Heather didn't mind the silence. She thought it was less awkward than engaging in boring small talk and, besides, she didn't have to walk home in the rain now.

But Matt was a different story - the silence was eating him alive. He turned to the girl quickly and then back to the road. ''So... should I know your name?''

''Maybe.'' she shrugged. 

Matt frowned slightly. ''You want to tell me it?''

''Not really.''

''Give me a clue.''

Heather sighed as she looked at him. He looked so dismayed by the fact he didn't know her name that she almost felt sorry for him.