~17~

★ ☆ ✦ ✧ ✩ ✶

Heather got home. She shut the door as quietly as she could and then walked up the stairs. She knocked timidly on her brother's bedroom door and then waited for a few seconds. When he didn't answer, she knocked again and tried pushing the door open.

''Harry.'' she whispered into the open door.

''H?''

''Can I come in?''

''Of course. Sorry, I thought you might've been mom.''

Heather opened the door and then walked inside, carefully shutting it behind her. She climbed into the bed beside her brother without saying a word. None of them said anything for a few moments and Heather ran her fingers through her hair.

''What's wrong?'' Harry asked.

She sighed. ''It's been a long fucking night.''

Harry sat up and flicked his lamp on. He looked at his sister, and his eyes widened at her tear-stained face. ''Do you want a hug?''

''No. I'll just cry again.''

He reached into his drawer and pulled out a cigarette. He held it out for his sister. ''Want it?''

She took it gratefully. ''Love you.''

''What happened?'' he asked.

''It turns out you were right about Matt.'' she said as she stood up, the cigarette between her lips. She reached the window, and then lit it.

''What do you mean?'' Harry asked, joining his sister at the window.

She looked at her brother as she inhaled. ''He was dared to be with me.''

''Are you fucking serious?'' Harry cried, holding his cigarette between his fingers.

''Unfortunately.''

''I'll kick his ass.'' he muttered.

Heather smiled lightly. ''Please don't.''

''Nobody makes a fool out of my sister, H.''

''It's already happened. Let it go.''

Harry paused. ''How are you feeling about it?''

She felt tears in her eyes. ''I really liked him, Har.''

He sighed and put his arm around Heather. ''I'm sorry.''

''Aren't you going to say I told you so?''

''Not right now. Maybe tomorrow.'' he grinned lightly.

She scoffed, wiping her eyes. ''I feel like such an idiot. I should've known he wasn't interested in me.''

''Heather, you have to stop doing that! Stop shitting on yourself...you're literally the coolest girl I've ever met. Matt would've been fucking lucky to have you.''

''He said I was his girl, Har. You know how untrusting I am... I really believed him.'' she whispered. Tears began to stream down her face and she wiped them away angrily. ''Sorry.''

''Don't apologise, loser. I'm here for you always.''

Heather felt sick as she threw the cigarette out of the window and looked at Harry. ''I need to tell you something.''

Harry copied her and then climbed back into bed. ''Tell me.''

''I might've accidentally told people about mom.''

''What do you mean 'accidentally'?'' Harry said, a smile tugging at his lips.

''I was drunk and upset...I started yelling about it.''