Chapter 53 Falling Apart (rewritten)

Start from the beginning

"Joseph is on the second floor. He has realised he can't escape, so he's making his way to his safe room. In his office there's a hidden door that leads to a small hallway then to his panic room. The door to his panic room is a vault door with a technical code. If he gets in, it will take a few minutes for me to unlock it." Noah gazed at the image of Joseph and some men run to the panic room.

"On the other hand, it's best to let him get to the room. Then he's locked away and you guys can kill all the remaining men. While his in there, I'll make sure he can't contact for backup. I'll block all of his devices," Noah spoke as his fingers swiftly moved across the keyboard. The screen showed Anton and Diego again. Anton and Diego gazed at each other with solemn expressions as the spoke, they nodded and prowled further down the hallway.

My body yearned so much to move since it had been in an uncomfortable position the entire drive. I shifted a little on my knees. It made a sound that caught Noah's attention. I ducked and prayed that he didn't see me. A second went by, then two, until I heard him clicking away on his keyboard again. A small puff of air came out of my mouth, relieved that my plan was still in motion.

From my pocket, I retrieved the extra key to Noah's car.

"Look out! Behind you Colt!" Noah yelled obnoxiously loud.

If he keeps up the barking, he won't notice me opening the tailgate. Besides, he has that earpiece that distracts him with loud gunshots. I would be amazed if he heard me.

I glanced one last time at Noah before I gazed back at the tailgate.

I could even hear the gunshots from his earpiece. I hope Anton is okay.

"Collin, to the left!" Noah yelled with a hint of fear in his voice.

Damn, Joseph's mob wasn't as bad as I thought. They held up good.

The situation over at Joseph's kept Noah busy. I took my chance and pushed the button on the key. Opening the tailgate slowly and enough, so I could slip out. With shaky hands, I opened a bit further, so my legs stood out. I took a hesitant breath, waiting for a sound that indicated that Noah heard me. Silence greeted me instead. I slowly slipped out into the cold night. I didn't dare breathe until I was fully out. The cold snow under my knees melted and soaked me as I gently closed the tailgate. The tailgate wasn't fully closed, if I closed it fully, he would have heard me. I couldn't believe that I actually managed to escape. Yet, I wasn't fully out of Noah's hair. In a few minutes he would notice how strangely cold the vehicle had got, hence the tailgate was slightly open. I hadn't much time.

I sat on my heels and gazed around. Thank God that there were many vehicles covering the entire way to Joseph's house. Making a run for it to his house would have got me caught if it was an open field. Especially with the snow. It was like blank canvas and there was I, completely dressed in black, running like a maniac.

I chuckled, would have been fun to see.

I glanced through the back window at Noah before I deemed it safe to run. My body was happy to run in the cold to the nearest car since it had gone stiff and numb from being in the boot.

I rested my back against the vehicle and exhaled clouds. So freaking cold.

I glanced back at Noah's car. His head was tilted down, watching his laptop screen. Good. I looked in front of me, the next automobile was parked quite far away, near the house. I still thought I could make it. There were a lot of vehicles blocking Noah's view, and if I bent down and ran, he wouldn't be able to see me at all. With a hesitant exhalation, I sprinted. The snow crunched under my shoes, leaving a trail behind me. When I reached the car, I let myself fall down. My back against the wheel, rapid breaths left my mouth as I attempted to calm down and concentrate. I was between two black vans, hidden from Noah's eyes and those dead bodyguards.