Chapter 22

I wake up to Aaden and Alun taking things out of my closet. When I try to sit up to stop them Aaden rushes to my side and stops me.

"I told you she wouldn't go without a fight," Alun says smirking towards Aaden.

"Where am I going?" I ask confused about what was happening.

"You're staying with me for your recovery," Aaden says matter of factly as he folds my dress haphazardly.

"Was no one going to ask if I was okay with this?" I turn towards Alun hoping for a more reasonable answer than the one I know would come from Aaden.

"Aaden has a spare room prepared and he lives alone so there's less of a chance for you to be caught." Alun stands and walks towards my bed. "He also lives closest to the hospital, so if anything goes wrong he can get you help faster."

Since it seems like the decision has already been made, despite me never being consulted, I choose to not put up a fight. Logically they were right, after all it did make sense but I still wish they would have talked to me first about it. Aaden helps me up and walks me to the edge of my bed where there's a small wheelchair. I shake my head, "I think I can walk there, I'm feeling better."

"Nice try, but the doctor says you shouldn't be walking very far so he had me bring this to you." Aaden smirks as if he's won and I begrudgingly sit down in the wheelchair.

"Was that so hard?" Aaden begins to laugh as Alun rolls his eyes.

They gather my things and wheel me out of my room. When we reach the foyer Mrs. Bohannon stops us. "I want to speak with you before you leave, if you're up to it."

I nod and Aaden and Alun walk out of the house to leave us alone. "I'm sorry for being such a hassle the last few days," I say nervously.

"I will admit I didn't originally want you here. I thought you were just a distraction for Neven, but I realize that you never meant to be in his life the way I thought you did." She steps towards me and crouches down. "You are a truly good person and I'm sorry for making things hard on you when we first met. Now I know that you didn't mean to make the rift between him and Ally bigger. I think I finally realized that trying to force her on him was putting a strain on him. I'm going to fix everything with them, but it will take some time. I want you to know that you did nothing wrong. I should have realized all of this sooner, but now that I know, I don't want you stressing over this."

"Thank you," I say meekly.

"I'll let Neven know that you left," she said standing back up. "He is currently taking care of some business for the Elders."

"Okay," I nod as Alun and Aaden walk back inside and over to us.

They tried talking to me on the way to Aaden's house, but my mind was racing with all sorts of thoughts. My stomach was churning at the realization that I would be completely alone with Aaden now. At least at Neven's his mother and the maids were there and he's engaged to Ally but Aaden lived by himself, according to Alun.

"Calm down, Evette," Alun said as he walked alongside me. "Everything will be okay."

"I'm okay," I say a little too fast for their liking.

"Those flowers were not there a minute ago, Evette," Aaden shook his head. "Now relax, you aren't supposed to be using your powers."

"Easy for you to say," I mumble, then look down at my lap, making my hair mask my face.

"Here we are," they said at the same time making me look up. The house has a small and cozy feeling even from the outside. There are windows on each side of the door, and I can tell that it's one level. Internally I sigh, not having to worry about falling down some stairs. I gasp as Aaden picks me up out of the wheelchair and carries me inside after Alun opens the door.

He goes down the hallways and opens another door then steps to the side for Aaden to walk through. "Oh, it's beautiful," I whisper as I lift my head from his shoulder and take in the simple yet elegant bedroom.

"Glad you like it," they say at the same time as Aaden sets me on the cream colored bed.

"We have to get to work," Alun says, scooting me back to rest against the wooden headboard. "But we will come check on you once we are done."

"One of Alun's maids will come over to help you make food so you don't overwork yourself," Aaden says, watching Alun make sure I'm comfortable. "And there's some books on the nightstand if you want to read. Help yourself to whatever you want, we need to leave, Alun."

"Thank you," I say softly, making the both of them nod then leave.

Feeling tired, I slide down and drift off to sleep. When I wake, I notice that it is getting close to dinner time, and I am feeling a little more energized, so I find the kitchen and decide to make Aaden and Alun something to eat for when they are done working since they've done so much to help me. The maid comes in but I ask her to leave since I'm feeling much better. Not knowing if Neven and Eben would join them, I make sure to make enough for all of them. Once I'm done cooking, I realize that I don't know when they will be here so I plate their food and cover it so it will stay warm then start cleaning up my mess.

After I've eaten, I head back to the bedroom and lay down to rest, only to fall back asleep. I slowly start to wake when I feel myself being moved and covered, then some fingers drift over my face but I'm too tired to completely wake and when I don't feel any more movement, I fall back asleep.