Chapter 21

Blair

The next couple of weeks were as busy as Jax and I had anticipated. Winter was in full swing in Music City bringing snowfall and bone chilling temperatures, but the snow made for some great social media and blog posts of all kinds of winter gear.

Jax put his house in California on the market, and we started the search for a new one. The housing prices and property taxes out West took some definite getting used to, but his house was paid for meaning we could use the sale price of it to put towards the new one.

I was sitting on Bri's couch with her famous bone broth hot chocolate when I was sent another house listing from Jax. He and JB had flown out for an away postseason game that morning, and the kids and I were having a sleepover with Bri and Emelise.

"This one is nice."

"I can't believe y'all are shopping for real estate together. That's huge, B!"

"I know. Is this all too fast though, Bri?"

"What do you mean?"

"We haven't even been together a year, and we are looking at houses. Should we slow down?"

"Blair, you both are in your late 30s. You know what you want in life. Dating now is not like dating in your teens and 20s."

"What if he doesn't want me when we are together every day?"

"There it is. I knew you were worrying about something. I'm pretty sure Jax knows you inside and out. Obviously, I know you best of all though."

"You definitely do. However, you still didn't answer my question. Is this all too fast?"

"What does your heart say, Blair?"

"That he has become the love of my life. I've never felt this way about anyone, Bri."

"That gives you your answer then," she smiled.

The Wildcats won moving on to the conference championship. I knew Jax was zeroed in on winning it all, and I was so proud of him.

I met him at his place for lunch the day they got back from the game and was beyond excited to see him. I had dressed in some fleece lined leggings, a slightly cropped, half zip pullover, fleece socks, Hunter boots for the snow, and an exact replica of the famous Amazon winter coat that I found at TJ Maxx for a fraction of the cost. I was looking forward to him wrapping me up in his wonderfully muscular arms and keeping me warm on a frigid winter day.

When I got off the elevator, Jax was on the phone in the living room, so I hung up my coat and purse, took off my boots, and went to the kitchen to start eating the warm soup I picked up for both of us as I heard him raise his voice a little letting me know that whatever the conversation was it wasn't going smoothly. He ended the call soon after and joined me in the kitchen pulling me close and kissing the top of my head. "Sorry about that."

"No apology needed. Everything okay?"

"Yeah. Contract negotiations. I have some decisions to make."

"Want to talk about it?"

"Not right now. I missed you. Thank you for picking up lunch," he said with a kiss.

"You're welcome. I missed you too. Y'all played great yesterday!"

"We need to do it twice more and even better if we want it all."

"I'll be right here cheering you on."

"Speaking of which. Will you come to the game? I need you there."