Chapter 4

Jax

The rest of the week flew by with preparation for our first game on Sunday. Thankfully, JB was somewhat speaking to me again by Friday, as long as I didn't mention Blair. I was going over film and plays Friday afternoon when he came to sit down beside me. "Look; I apologize for the lack of communication this week. Blair is family, and I don't want to see her get hurt. I know you think that you like her and that everything will be fine, but you don't have the greatest track record. Blair deserves somebody that is serious about wanting to settle down and create a life with someone not a guy that is just looking for something new and different. You know you're my guy on the field, but Blair is like a sister to me. Don't pursue this if you have no desire to be in anything for the long haul."

"JB, we've been to lunch once, texted, and talked on the phone a few times this week. I can't guarantee that will lead to happily ever after. No one can, but I can tell you that I do like her a lot because she is different than the others I have dated. I promise you that I will treat her right in the time we spend together whether that be six months or forever."

"Just take it slow. She has got walls up for damn good reason."

"I understand."

"And your ass better bring her flowers tonight. You ain't on the West Coast anymore. Be a southern gentleman."

I laughed with my friend glad that the tension was over. Blair was lucky to have JB and Bri in her life. They are good people and love their own fiercely which is what makes JB one of the best teammates as well. I packed up my stuff ready to head out for the night and relax a little by spending some more time with Blair before the game on Sunday.

I was nervous on the way to pick up Blair, and I hadn't been nervous for a date in a long time. I had changed shirts twice but would never admit that to anyone. I turned on some music to pull myself together and then still had to take a deep breath as I pulled into her driveway.

Her house was a small barndominium, I think it is called, that looked like something straight off of those HGTV shows that my mom and sister like so much. There was what looked to be a tiny home in the back that I assumed belonged to her parents who JB had mentioned lived with her and the kids. Before I could grab her flowers and get out of the car and up to the front door, Blair came outside looking absolutely amazing! She had on a black faux leather miniskirt that came to mid thigh, a pale pink, loose fitting, thin sweater, and black stiletto heels. Her bare legs still held a golden summer tan, and her blonde hair hung down in loose curls the color of the sun with a few pieces pinned back to accentuate her beautiful face.

"Hi."

"Hey. These are for you. JB threatened me with my life if I didn't bring you flowers."

"Thank you," she replied with a smile. "Let me go put these in water really quick. You can come in. The kids went to dinner with my mom, Bri, and Emelise."

I followed her inside and was not surprised at how welcoming her home felt. Her southern nature showed through with the wide plank wooden floors, neutral colors, open floor plan, and tasteful farmhouse style. I followed her to the kitchen and stood on the opposite side of the island as she went around to the other searching for something to put the flowers in. I'd be lying if I said I didn't check out her ass and legs as she reached up to get a clear vase out of an upper cabinet. One of the things that I already liked about Blair is that I could tell that she has no idea how sexy she is. I had to take a breath to clear some definitely not PG thoughts from my head as she finished with the flowers.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah. You look gorgeous by the way."

"Thank you. You clean up pretty well yourself. Are you going to tell me where we are going?"