Chapter 2

Jax

As I drove us to practice, I couldn't get Bri's friend, Blair, out of my head. Those big, blue eyes, the long blonde hair, and that body that I could tell was well toned from her tight leggings and the glimpse of her waistline that I could see as her shirt became practically transparent after I spilled coffee all over it. I still can't believe I spilled it all over her. I was not the guy to embarrass himself in front of a gorgeous woman like that. I became consumed with a need to show her that I wasn't a walking disaster, so I decided to see what all I could get out of JB without seeming too obvious.

"Sorry about spilling coffee all over Bri's shop. You'd think I'd be able to text and walk."

"It happens to the best of us. I did find it pretty amusing though considering how dumbfounded you looked when you saw Blair," he laughed.

"Thanks, JB. That makes me feel so much better," I replied with large amounts of sarcasm. "How have I never met Blair if she's Bri's best friend? Surely she has come to something with you both over the years."

"No way! I know what you're doing. Blair is not your type," JB responded a little too fast.

"What?"

"I know that look and that tone. Blair is Bri's very best friend and will be protected at all costs."

"Am I that bad?"

"She wouldn't be interested. Trust me."

"Why?"

"Does it really matter? You probably have several models all up in your DMs right this very minute."

"I do not. I'm over that because it always ends the same."

"Sure you are."

"I mean it. I'm 37. I'm too old for the bullshit, and every woman I've dated wants kids like immediately."

"You don't want more kids?"

"No. One is enough for me. I don't even get to spend much time with that one, so how the hell would I handle more?"

"Well, there is one reason why Blair isn't for you."

"What do you mean?" I asked not appreciating the effort JB was making to dismiss me having any interest in Blair.

"She has two kids."

"She looks all of 24. How does she have two kids?"

"She's the same age as Bri. But again; she's not going to be interested."

"How do you know that for sure?"

"Blair is smart, funny, and creative, but she's been through some shit. Her ex cheated. The bastard even brought the woman into their home to their bed. He did a number on her beating her down psychologically and emotionally, and she has worked really hard to build herself back up to being the strong, successful woman she is today. She won't even give a second look to anyone she thinks she can't trust, and the supermodel dating pro football player would send all those red flags flying."

"I've never cheated on a serious girlfriend. You know that."

"Jax, not going to happen. You're my guy, but Blair is family. I won't let her get hurt."

"Can't I at least take her to dinner as an apology for spilling her coffee like a complete jackass?"

"No."

"What if you and Bri come too?"

"No."

"Come on. She's beautiful."