✥ 32 | Residues

Breakfast was an awfully quiet affair, except the occasional reminders from Jaya Mehra to her son to eat properly. They were more than halfway through when doorbell had chimed announcing a visitor. Almost immediately Sanjh stood up to reach the door. It was Nirali Oswal.

Sanjh managed a polite smile and welcomed her in. Jaya Mehra welcomed her politely. Ever since Minal and Sidharth got married, they barely spoke. A deep cracked had formed in the bond of the two women.

"I just came to check on Sidharth." She explained stepping in.

"Aunty, I am fine. Join us for breakfast," he said politely, noticing his mother get up and walk to the kitchen.

Nirali wore a weak smile and walked over to him. She sat on the chair beside the one he sat on. "I had breakfast, beta. How do you feel now?"

"Better," he said, glancing at his mother who returned and went back to eating.

Sanjh was about to walk back from the door when the doorbell rang again. They all looked at the door. This time it was Mayank.

"Hi," Sanjh said.

"Hey," he gave her a bright smile.

Sidharth looked at them unblinking. 

"Please, come in," Sanjh said politely after a few seconds of awkward gazing. Sidharth watched as she led him to the sofa. 

"Hi aunty, good morning," he greeted Jaya Mehra and then noticed the other lady. "Hello aunty." Nirali passed him a smile of acknowledgment. "Sidharth," he said with a nod.

Sidharth nodded and turned around. "You were saying," he prompted Nirali to talk. What on earth was Mayank doing at their house right in the morning?

"Oh, there were a few things. Minal had put you as nominee on one of her bank account and the flat you guys bought together. I hired a legal counselor to take care of it all. I just wanted you to meet him once. It's just me now. So whatever is mine is also yours. So a few formalities have to be taken care of."

Sidharth placed a hand on her hand. Nirali Oswal was one of the strongest people he knew. He had no clue how she managed to wear a smile and keep a positive outlook after everything. First her husband's untimely death and now her daughter dying young. She passed him a weak smile. "Eat, eat.." she said softly. Sidharth ate quietly. 

He had missed out on whatever Mayank and Sanjh were talking. He tried to hear their conversation, but they were talking in a very hushed voice. He could barley grasp anything. What was so important that  he had come to personallu come and tell Sanjh, right in the beginning of the day?

"I will get going, just came to check on you all." He finally heard him say. Sidharth slowly turned around. Just in time to catch Sanjh and Mayank looking at each other. He briefly nodded and she nodded. They were talking with their gazes. He could make out that much. In all honesty, it annoyed him.

"Thanks for last evening." Sanjh said.

"Anytime Sanjh. I am glad you called me." Sidharth's grip on the backrest of the chair tightened. 

"I will get going then," the other man said. "Bye aunty. Take care Sidharth." 

Sidharth nodded, looking over his shoulder. He watched as Snajh walked up to the door to see him out. The man was saying something to Sanjh and then left. Sidharth noticed the folded paper in her hand. What was going on? His gaze met Sanjh's as she turned around after closing the door. She silently walked away to her room.

• • • 

Sidharth sat outside the doctor's room lost in his thoughts. He was trying to draw a theory about Mayank's visit. Why were they talking in a hushed manner? What was in that paper that he gave Sanjh? What was the purpose of his visit?