✥ 17 | Conflicted

Sidharth had barely sat on the couch after reaching home when the doorbell had chimed. He wondered who it would be. Perhaps a neighbor who wanted to offer condolences. He was tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

He was surprised to find his friend Sachin at the door. Sachin paraded in without waiting for a formal greeting. "So daddy duty over?"

Sidharth let out a sigh and shut the door. "I just dropped Ron back home."He didn't like it how his friend called it a duty but didn't express it.

"Is there anything to eat?" Sachin asked as he placed the bottle of whiskey and cans of beer on the center table.

"Sachin, not today."

"I am not listening to anything. I will order pizza." Sachin said settling on the sofa, pulling out his phone.

"Sachin, seriously I don't think I am in the mood today."

"Go change. We will just eat and drink. I won't talk if you don't want to listen to my blabble, okay?"

"I will go change." Sidharth said knowing that Sachin wouldn't back off. From the past two days Sachin had been trying to spend some time with him. Sidharth didn't show much resistance tonight, maybe he could use company. He wasn't used to being alone, it sucked. With Raunak gone, the silence of the house was unbearable.

By the time he showered, changed into comfortable home clothes and walked out, Sachin had made himself comfortable on the couch and switched on the television. 

"Pizza is five minutes away." He announced, preparing a drink. Sidharth eyed the   the glass Sachin pushed towards him. Sachin picked up a beer can for himself.

"Thanks," Sidharth said, picking up the glass. His gaze paused at his son's tiny hot wheels car he had left on the table. 

"What are you thinking?"

"I thought you said, you won't talk." Sidharth said turning to his friend.

"I am just asking a question."

"Right now, about Ron." He picked up the car. "It's his new car. Papa bought it for him."

"Such a cool grandfather. My dadaji only bought me books and stationery. Seems like he's going to cry over it, if he doesn't find it."

Sidharth placed the car down next to the showpiece. "Maybe."

"Sid, you haven't spoken about Minal."

"What should I say about her?" Sidharth asked settling back on the couch. 

"How do you feel about her not being around anymore?"

Sidharth gulped all the contents of the glass in one shot. "I don't know. I knew she'd eventually be gone." He said settling the glass on the table.

"That doesn't mean you don't feel anything. Nothing prepares you for losing someone." Sachin pointed out watching Sidharth with a careful gaze as hos friend reached out to the bottle of whiskey.

"Hmm, " he responded refilling his glass.

"Sid, what do you feel?" Sachin asked, placing the can of beer down on the table.

"I feel angry. You know ever since we were kids the only thing that annoyed me about her was she would just leave without a goodbye. There was never a proper farewell with her."

A silence engulfed the room that was broken after a few minutes by the chime of the doorbell. Sachin got up to attend the visitor who was the delivery guy. Sachin opened the boxes and they ate in silence for some time.