Chapter 24: Never Let Me Go. Ever

Start from the beginning

"Irises!" I squealed.

I remembered Mother loved Irises. Unlike me, she preferred the blue ones over the white. I ran over to smell them. I always found the aroma intoxicating. There was just something calming about the scent. You'd feel the world stop, even if the feeling only lasted for a few seconds.

"I can arrange for some to be taken to your room."

"Really?" I asked giddily, a childish grin on my face.\

"Of course," Father confirmed, and in a much softer tone, "Anything for you, milaya."

When I looked up, I found him towering over me, his hand extended for me to take. Happily, I let him help me up, and we headed to the bench towards the back of the garden.

"I actually prefer the Little Palace," I mused.

"Me too."

"So then, why did you move into the Grand Palace? I mean, once you're the tsar, you could do whatever you wanted."

"It's all appearances, malyshka. The people need it."

"Shame, though."

"Indeed," he agreed.

"Father, why did you bring me here?"

"Can't a father spend time with his daughter?"

"He could, but that's not why we're here."

He sighed, obviously not ready to get to the point yet.

"Well, as much as I don't want to, I suppose it's time to start thinking about how to get you home."

Wow. I didn't think... I know I kept worrying about it, but now I was still not prepared for this.

"I... I suppose."

"So you think Merzost is involved in this?"

"Yes, I'm not sure who else could be responsible for such an event. Time travelling must have something to do with the making of the world, no?"

"Well, Leksi, Merzost isn't an exact science. While powerful, it is very unpredictable. You being here... it's too exact, too precise. It's almost as if you were meant to come here. But why?"

"I don't know."

"But... but you know what happens, right? You know how this war ends, don't you?" he pressed.

"Well, I..."

He nodded for me to continue.