042. mother's love

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, this is gonna be a long drive." Larissa mutters. "I'll go get Thena." She pecks Sam on the lips before getting up to find her daughter.

+++

The five are in the car and Athena is asleep in her car seat. Larissa is sitting between her daughter and the angel while the brothers are in the front seat. The car is settled in a tense silence, Larissa wishing she was Athena -- asleep and zero worries in the world.

"All right, who wants music?" Sam asks.

"I'm good." Dean says.

"You?" Sam glances back, sharing a look with Larissa. "Okay. Cas, is there anything specific we should know about your friend?" Cas doesn't say anything.

"Wow. You guys might be worse than me and Sam." Larissa comments.

"Lissy." Sam gives her a look.

"Just saying." She shrugs.

"All right. Guys, you know what? This-- this silent treatment thing, it's silly. It's not gonna work. Whatever we're walking into, we should, you know, probably have an actual plan." Sam says.

"What do you wanna know?" Cas asks after a moment.

"Oh, he speaks." Dean quips.

"Enough." Sam warns. "Cas, you said when you heard Benjamin, he-he was screaming."

"It was, um... look, Benjamin wouldn't call for help lightly. And he wouldn't put himself in harm's way if he could help it." Cas says.

"Wow, this Benjamin seems like he's pretty cool, you know. Like he wouldn't make any half-cocked, knee-jerk choices." Dean says.

"Yeah, you know what I like about him? Is that he's sarcastic, but he's thoughtful and appreciative, too." Cas says.

"Now what is that supposed to mean?" Dean asks, turning back to look at him.

"Oh, my God. Never mind. Go back to the silent treatment, please." Larissa says.

"The road, road. Dude, watch the road." Sam tells his brother.

"I got it." Dean turns back to face the front.

"Anything else, Cas?" Sam asks.

"Benjamin is always very careful. Long ago, he found a powerfully devout vessel in Madrid, and her faith, it... she gave him everything -- her trust and her body." Cas says.

"Wait. So Benjamin's a woman?" Dean asks.

"Benjamin is an angel. His vessel is a woman. But it-it's-- it's more than that. She's not just his vessel." Cas says.

"She's... she's his friend." Sam says.

"Yeah. Benjamin would never put her in unnecessary danger." Cas says.

"Okay, well, if this Benjamin is so careful, then what happened?" Dean asks.

"I don't know. That's what I need to find out." Cas says.

+++

The guys checked out the crime scene while Larissa stayed with Athena since the toddler refused to let go of her mother.

It's nighttime now and Dean pulls up to a diner, the group getting out and Larissa gets Athena out, holding her.

"All right, who we meetin'?" Sam asks.

"His name is Ishim. Before I, uh, commanded my own flight of angels, my own battalion, I served under him with Benjamin." Cas explains.

"And you think he knows what's going on?" Dean asks.