𝐌𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐆𝐞𝐯𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐚𝐧

"That letter would eventually find its way into the hands of a young woman

"That letter would eventually find its way into the hands of a young woman. A skilled hunter who would later face the Beast armed with nothing but a steel-tipped pike. She would be known by history as the Maid of Gevaudan. But her real name was Marie-Jeanne." Gerard started to explain about the Beast of Gevaudan.

"Maybe someone should resurrect her," Jordan said before turning to walk out the door but Ava grabbed his hand.

"Don't leave."

Jordan turned to Ava before looking at Lydia. "My dreams aren't like Lydia's. I'm not just a harbinger of death. I'm the cause of it." He turned to leave again making Ava go to follow him.

"Jordan..." She called and went to leave but Gerard grabbed her. 

"Let him go," Gerard said making Ava turn to him.

"Why?" Lydia asked.

"Because as much as we believe Parrish could take on the Beast...neither of us think he's our only hope at stopping it," Argent said making both girls turn to them confused.

"What do you mean?" Lydia asked.

"We think there's another," Argent said as Gerard walked over to them.

"You. Lydia." Gerard said making Lydia turn to Ava confused. "Marie-Jeanne was a lot like you, Lydia. Sceptical of her own abilities. And once, actually, just as sceptical of the supernatural." Gerard started.

"Why didn't he warn her?" Lydia asked after Gerard told some of the stories.

"He told her about everything that they'd seen during the war. But like I said, Marie-Jeanne was a sceptic. They searched from dawn till dusk, hoping to find the Beast where it slept. But they knew they'd most likely only encounter it at nightfall. It was just after midnight when the first torch went out..."

Ava noticed Lydia was about to collapse making Ava grab onto her catching her before she falls while Argent stepped towards them. "Lydia?"

"Something's happening," Lydia said making Argent raise an eyebrow.

"Now?" He asked and she shook her head.

"I don't know. But something's wrong. I can't stay here." Lydia said and the girls were about to leave when Gerard stopped them.

"You should hear the rest of the story." He said making Ava scoff and turn to him.

"Why should I be listening to you?" Ava asked and Argent gave her a stern father look.

"He knows it better than any of us," Argent said and Ava scoffed.

"Everything I've read says that the Beast was killed by Jean Chastel," Lydia said and Gerard scoffed.

"Who told you that? The Internet? If that's your most reliable source of information, then you might as well go." Gerard said and Ava turned to Lydia.

"Lydia you can leave, I'll stay," Ava said making Lydia give her a thankful look before leaving the bunker. "What happened next?"

"Henri brought Marie-Jeanne to his home. A place protected by a circle of Mountain Ash trees. Marie-Jeanne knew she couldn't just take out another hunting party armed with mistletoe and rowan berries. She needed an advantage. She needed to know her enemy...Marie-Jeanne confronted her brother the moment she walked back into the Tavern. The sceptic became a full believer that night. So Marie-Jeanne went back to Henri to figure out how to kill both a Beast and a brother. Marie-Jeanne hunted Sebastien for three years until she finally cornered him in 1767."

Gerard mentioned how Marie-Jeanne was telling her brother that'll he be erased from history, making realisation cross Ava's face. "Damnatio Memoriae." She said and Argent nodded.

"They erased every detail of him. Everything he signed, everything he owned..." 

"They burned it all. The name Sebastien Valet has been forgotten for over 150 years, but when it's remembered..." Gerard said.

"When the Beast remembers, the teenager inside is forgotten." Argent continued.

"Gone. Forever." Gerard said making Ava frown.

"But Marie-Jeanne didn't do it alone. She was never alone. She had help from Henri, the Magistrate, the town, even Marcel." Ava said before taking a deep breath. "We need Parrish. I'm going to go find him."

"Ava, he's dangerous." He said making Ava turn to her. "He's still a shapeshifter. And one who's just beginning to understand his power."

"And I'm not?" Ava asked. "I could slit your throat out or run you through with my claws."

"You're not the same. You access the supernatural. It works through you." Argent said. 

"But it doesn't control you," Gerard said

"How would you know?" Ava said turning and glaring at him. "Why do you care? Why are you suddenly on our side?" Ava said before realisation crossed her features again. "Allison was doing research on the Beast when we had a family project. She never left him."

Gerard picked up one of the Argent Family's silver bars and slide it towards Ava. "Because it's my name as well. Marie-Jeanne never left Henri after the death of her brother. And their relationship became more than a partnership. They married and she took his name."

Ava picked up the silver bar which had the Argent fleur-de-lis stamped on it. "Argent."

"Marie-Jeanne was the first hunter," Argent said, nodding and Gerard smiles smugly at Ava.

"Our name will be remembered as well, Ava. For killing the Beast."

"But I'm not an Argent. And I'm not Allison." Ava said sadly as a tear left her eye before wiping it away and walking out of the bunker.