Chapter TwentyThree

Syn
    I growled so loud Clara screamed "She is on our packlands. That witch is around my mate. My people are in danger."
    My outburst started an hour ago when my father tried to tell me she was harmless in the state she was in. Davina didn't care, she wanted to end the pretty little witch's life and serve it to the demons on a platter.
    "We leave tomorrow" I roared at Otr "I know I said we needed to stay longer and recruit help but that is going to happen now."
    I marched out of my grandparents living room and into their office space. It was a grand room painted sage green. Golden accents decorated the room giving it an elegant feel. It reminded me of my mothers dress I had worn for Onyx's and my  acceptance ceremony.
    "Grandmother, Grandfather. There is a reason me and Orsan traveled here. You need to know what's going on" I started "The daylight demons are back and they want to end us all this time. Anyone who hid or fought against them during the original uprising"
    My grandparents sat still for a few moments taking in what I said. It was a lot of information all at once "Please, my pack is slowly being taken. My people need help. Everyone is in danger, even you all."
    "We know my love. Our warriors are against fighting for no reason, but Ash had explained their plans. This time we need to get involved." My grandfather looked to his mate "I want to help our family this time"
    I smiled at them "Me and Orsan owe you. Consider my pack your second home from now on. My console has readied the guest wing for your arrival. I need to leave immediately but expect to hear from me with any updates''
    "One thing though little wolf" My grandmother smiled "You need to take Rafer, Nissa, and Paavo home with you."
    "Why? I have enough pack members to stay protected at home you know" I cocked my head at her
    "They are the royal guard. That's what they call themselves at least. I order that they go with you. So even if you leave without them they will follow you home" She smiled at me
    "It's like looking in a mirror" I gave her a wicked smile "I see where I get my spirit now"
    "Oh, your mother gave you that. I'm nothing compared to my stubborn first born." She grasped my hands "We will aid you in any way, my granddaughter. We owe it to your mother and your father for raising you. He did well"
    "I look forward to introducing you to my pack, and my mate. He will be delighted to know we have more family now"
    "I will see about that" My grandfather chuckled "He has to get through this hard exterior first"
    I laughed at him "He'll win you over, my pack adores him. He actually is leading them while I'm away. Along with my Beta, Atlas. You'll get to meet them all when you come. Be ready"
    "Be safe my dear" they smiled at me "We'll be awaiting your command young princess"
    I walked out to see everyone packed up and ready to leave. A part of me wished I could stay longer and explore where my mom and aunt grew up. I was needed back home, and I had blood to spill.
    My fathers.
    My mates.
    And a little witch by the name of Ash.
    They all are not on Davina's good side and they should fear the repercussions of each of their actions. She does not take kindly to being betrayed. Plus the fact she came while I was away angered me. She was near my mate without me there.
    I climbed on Otr, this time with Nissa who was extremely worried about flying. Paavo and Orsan took another dragon and were loving it. Once we had everything secure we were ready for the long journey home.
    "Are you sure this is safe?" Rafer looked at the freshly shifted dragon "I don't know if I like flying wolves"
    "It's faster than taking a boat home" I shrugged "Everything will be okay. Strap in and sleep. You're going to need it because my wolf is on a mission once we get there."
    "Oh boy, my first assignment!" Paavo jumped around "I'm here to help in any way!"
    "Oh Atlas is going to end us" Ryder laughed "Either that or he's taking residence in Otr's cabin till after they leave"
    "He will love him" Orsan defended his friend "I will make sure of it! No beta wolf can take me"
    "Oh hush, he may take that as a challenge" Clara warned "He doesn't take kindly to those"
    I rolled my eyes, as annoyed as Atlas may get he wouldn't hurt my cousin. Not if he wanted to live to see Amoura birth their pup. Otr would just have to share his cabin with him, and not me this time.
    We waved goodbye to my grandparents and made our way home. There was hell to be paid.
Onyx
    I anxiously waited for my mate's arrival back home. It would take them at least 17-18 hours to get here so I had a day to get my affairs in order. Evander had warned me she was more than angry with all of us. Especially me for going near her, but she didn't know Tera was by my side the whole time protecting me.
    "Hey Jane, are you excited? Your mate is on his way home" I smiled at her while she was stretching for sparring practice.
    "Yeah, duh. I have missed his annoying pranks he always pulls on me" She smiled "I'll miss you when alpha cuts your throat out"
    "She wouldn't dare, she loves me too much" I paused thinking about what I just said.
    "Oh you love her?" She smirked "L O V E?"
    "I think I do, maybe it's just the mate bond though. I don't know. I haven't thought about it much"
    "Oh I think you doo" she sing songed "I'm a teenage girl, we know these things when we see it!"
    I rolled my eyes "Keep that up and I'll pair you with one of the boys!"
    "You would never! You silly luna. You don't even know how you feel about the alpha. I do though!"
    I watched as she ran off to some of the other younger wolves talking about another party. This time it was a welcome home for Syn and the others. We had three new wolves to introduce to the pack and explain why they were here.
    I was excited for Clara to come back home to help me lead these classes. Ezra tried but with the patrolling schedule he could only be there so much during the day. He happily took over training the adults. Which was mostly women and males that were in other fields than warriors.
Class finished and I decided to go see Ash one more time before my mate came home. It would be the last time I could speak with her. I needed closure. No, I deserved to know if any of it was real.
The smell of the hospital hit my nose when I walked into the room. She was sleeping peacefully in the sterile looking bed. Now wearing a tank top and a large pair of gray sweat pants. She looked more comfortable and less exposed than she did the day before.
I gulped and decided to wake her "Hey, Ash. It's me, Nyx"
Her eyes fluttered open and adjusted to the bright lights surrounding the room. She looked around to see if it was just me this time. Once she decided she wasn't in any danger she looked at me.
"Why are you here? Do you have a death wish?" she jolted and sat up "Syn is going to kill the both of us"
"Currently I don't care. I need answers, from you" My voice had an edge to it and I didn't like it.
"Fine. Shoot" She rolled her eyes "You could at least pretend to want to have this conversation."
"I really don't" I retorted "Was any of it real? Your feelings? The relationship we were in? Did you do it because of them or because you cared about me?"
"At first I was doing as I was told. As I got to know you" she paused and looked out the large window "I began to care about you, and I fell in love with you."
"But you knew about Syn?"
"I did. I told them I was working on introducing you to her, so their plan would move faster. However, I was selfish and told them she wasn't mated to you. They knew I was lying when I stopped going to visit you."
"So they sent parties to see if she gained any new abilities after meeting me. You told them she had, didn't you?"
"I was jealous and angry. It slipped" a rouge tear slipped out from her eyes "I realized you would never look at me the way you look at her"
I nodded and got up from the hard chair "Get some rest, my mate is on her way back."
After I left I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I got my answers, despite how much she betrayed me, I still cared about her. Just not in the way I cared about my Syn. She was so much more. Ash deserved to find her beloved and be happy for once.
She deserved to be free. From me. Her family. And from her own expectations.