Chapter Nineteen

Onyx
I was seeing red and I wanted to have Amos' head on a fucking platter. Even though he couldn't lie because of the truth serum he sent my mate into a dangerous situation. I needed to know how Ash found out they were there and why she went there all alone.
I really hoped that Davina ripped her throat out and bathed in her blood. I loved her so much but it was nothing compared to Syn. Syn meant everything to me, she was like a cool spring on a hot summer day. Like an oasis in the middle of a desert. Ash and I could never compare to Syn and me.
Evander calmed me down when he said they left Anita's castle and made it to Norway. Their links were shut off but he knew they were safe with Otr. I may have my own ventedia against him but he was a strong man, well dragon.
"Hey, do you want to come help me finalize these plans? It's for the solar panels for the hospital and I need your authorization" Val poked her head into my room and smiled.
"Of course!" I stood up and followed her outside and down the path where the new hospital building was going to be. "So how far along are they?"
"To me? Three months hopefully. They're trying to expedite the process but the school's gym is also going to be converted since the war may happen before then."
"War?" My heart pounded against my chest, the thought of my mate in battle sent a chill down my spine.
"Yeah, I mean what the daylight demons are doing? When others find out what's going on when Syn gets back. You both will be contacting other packs and supernaturals to help join the fight."
"Well she was right, it is bigger than us. We're going to need more help. What do you think will happen?"
"Honestly I'm not sure. It's more than just wolves being taken now, which is an issue but they can drink our blood and know our alpha is different? I don't want to lose my best friend"
"We won't if I have anything to do with it. You've seen it yourself we humans can kinda keep up"
"Clara can, you? I'm not so sure" She teased as we walked up to the hospital construction site.
"I mean you didn't see what I had to do out there"
"Yeah but you had that witch protecting you. Honestly I don't know how you would have survived without it."
"What do you mean?"
"Atlas thinks they knew you were Syn's mate. We all know about oracles so why wouldn't they? He thinks that she used you to get close to Syn, and if you wouldn't have bumped into her she would have used you as a bargaining chip."
"How do you know that?" I remembered the conversation I had had with him the night Syn's blood almost had gotten taken.
"Amoura went looking for him that night and overheard his conversation with Ev. She ran to tell me crying about what could have happened" She looked over at my wolves "Do you think they had anything to do with it?"
"I mean they could have. They're my protectors, everyone knows that." Tera came up to me and smiled. "Hi pretty momma"
"They're linked to you right? That's pretty cool honestly. They've been helping me out here a lot"
"They've been sleeping with Amoura since Atlas has been so busy. They're good for her I think"
"Tera is a good momma wolf, she'll make sure the pup is taken care of. She took care of me all those years" I patted her head "We need to spend more time together, I miss you pups"
Tera rolled her eyes and wandered back over to Amoura who was wandering in a field of flowers. She seemed so at peace with the three wolves playing with her. Flame decided to try and eat the flowers which ended with Snow attacking him. They seemed so happy here.
"So this is the plan for everything, we're hoping to have the bare bones done within the month. What do you think?
It was absolutely beautiful. I had never seen construction sites like this or plans. My pa's medical books had nothing like this in their descriptions. It was futuristic and high tech, especially for being in a post-apocalyptic world. The building was going to be reinforced with one way glass, that was of course vamp proof.
It was dome shaped and way larger than the castle and main hospital. The one way glass made it look silver in the plan. The steel triple lock doors gave it a prison vibe but they needed to keep these wolves especially safe when it came to the demons.
The plan was to let the children decorate the pediatric ward in a warm and welcoming way. Amoura was going to help decorate the labor and delivery ward from what I had gathered.
"This is amazing. I've never seen anything like this before. How did you come up with this idea?"
"Well the wolves who are in charge of architecture for the pack looked at what human hospitals looked like and they liked this design. They've definitely tweaked it a bit though."
"Huh, that's pretty cool." I was in absolute awe over what was going to be built in my pack. Huh, that's pretty cool to think about. My pack.
I spent the afternoon with Val getting to know the builders and talking to them about how it was going. There weren't any major issues so far even for an accelerated project at this level. Dr. Harrison was in love with the designs and I loved the fact I got to learn more about green energy.
By the time night fell I was sitting in the living room playing video games with Ezra before he left for rounds. Even though we were pretty much invisible now thanks to Blair he still kept a tight patrol of the borders.
"Hey Onyx, can we talk?" Atlas poked his head out of what I learned was Evander's office "It's important"
"Yeah, what's up?" I got up and Ezra left to go see Clara before he left for a bit. "Everything okay?"
"Yeah, just come on in" I walked into the room and sat down in the other chair by Atlas.
"We think we know they know what Syn is. I think they've always known, since before your grandfather even was taken" Evander spoke softly trying to lessen the blow on me.
"You think Ash and her family took him? Do you think she only came because of me being Syn's mate?"
"Yes. We think they knew who you are to Syn. Along with what she is. I think they were going to use you as a bargaining chip to get one of the true wolves."
"I thought you said they used me to be able to stay on your packlands if they were found?"
"We did, but with everything that's happened and Ash following them overseas? I have no doubt they used Ash to get close to you after they took the one person who would protect you."
"Do you think my pa knew who I was? That's why he used Alice's mom to protect me and had this pack to protect me? Were you supposed to protect me from Ash and them?"
"We think so, but like Alice's mom said you shouldn't have ever met Syn. It put everyone in danger by activating her gifts. However you really can't keep mates apart" Atlas shrugged "I think they were the ones that took him so they could move in"
    "So you think my whole relationship with her was a lie?" A deep pit replaced my stomach and I shook out of anger "Why do you think Syn had her gifts before we actually met?"
    "I think since you were so close to the inner borders she may have gone close to your land. She used to play with your wolves when she was a pup" Evander admitted "Did you ever see her before that day?"
    "I really can't remember. Ash used to make sure no one ever saw me, but she didn't care much about my wolves"
    "Could that have done it?" Atlas looked at Evander and back to me
    "I'm not sure how it works but I think that if they were in close enough proximity it could have awoken her gifts. She really only started to develop like she has when she first met you"
    "So Alice's mom was right, I awoke the beast. So now Syn is in danger because of me?"
    "No she's in danger because of what she is, she would have been just as unsafe if she hadn't met you" Evander tried to assure me "But now she has her gifts, along with Orsan so they both have a large target painted on their backs"
    "Why do you think Orsan has another mate? So he can keep his 'powers' as he calls them?" I rubbed my face thinking of the utter betrayal I felt
    "I'm not sure, it's rare that typical wolves with the gene get a second chance mate. It could have been a trauma bond because he only started feeling this way when he met Jane."
    "Or was his godmother again covering for him making the captures think he had his mate and didn't gain power? If they knew what he was when they had him, how was it so easy for him to escape?"
    "Onyx, we don't think they knew what he was. Only that Syn was a true wolf. You remember she shielded his eyes and tainted his blood. He was safe there because of her. If they now know that there's two wolves like them, who knows what will happen." Evander rubbed the back of his neck in frustration.
    "Do you have any clue why they would take your Pa? I know it's a touchy subject but you said he was a doctor and studied history. What kind of history?"
    "He liked conspiracies, mythical beings, and rituals. He also studied blood for the most part. He worked in a lab before the uprising."
    "Lab? Hmm" Atlas thought "Blood? They took Syn's and everyone at the camps blood. Do you think?"
    Evander brushed him off and went back to me "I think they're going to try and capture them so they can use them for another uprising. This time it will be against all beings that aren't sided with them. They quite literally want the whole world to themselves."
    "It started with the humans, for a 'better world' for all supernaturals, now they want to take the whole damn thing over? Why?"
    "Same as every king of humankind, power. I would say money but we don't have that anymore." Atlas eyes darkened "They want Syn so they can offset the balance, so they can be the ultimate supernatural."
    "And they do that by drinking wolf blood? I thought vampires couldn't do that." I was starting to get confused
    "They previously couldn't, that doesn't mean things haven't changed. Especially if" Evander trailed off "I believe they think they can become a god by drinking their blood since Syn and Orsan are descendants of one."
    "They want the ultimate power then, they want to rule the world that we have worked so hard to rebuild. To think we wanted to start letting humans have parts of our land and now that's not even safe. They need to stay hidden" Atlas scrunched his nose and huffed
    "Wait, you wanted humans to come out of hiding? Why?"
    "Not all packs were on board because they agreed with 'why' the uprising happened. But we and Bane wanted to let humans live our way. Protecting the earth and living in peace. We wanted to coexist"
    "Not so peaceful now, Evander" Atlas shrugged "Bad time"
    I chuckled under my breath, "So what can we do? How do we stop this war from happening and innocent people don't die?"
    "Well the kidnappings were done so that they would have strength in numbers, to me at least. Unless some went willingly with them, which could have happened. I do not think there is a way to stop this other than killing off their leader."
    "Do we know the name of said leader of the daylight demons?" I asked, kind of not wanting to know. Curiosity killed the cat.
    "His name is Bolverkr. He is the last original vampire, as you may know they were cursed by an unknown norse god. Punished by his fathers evil doings, they became blood crazed monsters. Overtime his family changed their ways and he did not"
    "So what happened?"
    "He slaughtered them, but forced them to turn 50 humans each so he would have protection. It was a gruesome sight I'm sure. I met him before the uprising when he came here to convince us to join him."
    "And you said no?"
    "Obviously. I didn't like the way that we were being treated but there were better ways to fix it than just wiping out an entire species"
    "Is that why most supernaturals hate humans? We aren't all like that just like not all of you are cruel"
    "You only know that because you have taken the time to get to know us. You hated us all at first" Atlas reminded me "But we're glad you stayed."
    "I need to sleep on all of this, it's way too much for me to deal with" I stood up and left the room.
My wolves followed me up the stairs and took their spots on the bed. I layed there awake feeling sorry for myself. Angry that I had trusted Ash and her family. Wondering if my grandfather knew that I was Syn's mate and needed them to protect me more than the fact I belonged to her.
I missed my mate immensely, more than I thought was possible. Her being thousands of miles away with Otr was unsettling to say the least. I knew she said it wasn't like that anymore and from what I have read wolves feel disgusted when it comes to being with another person. So it gave me hope that she wouldn't do anything to betray me.
I was falling asleep when I heard Atlas and Ezra speaking in the hallway about how patrol went and how Amoura was doing being so close to having her pup. I was excited to meet the lil creature.
"His grandfather could be alive, Ez. We can't just storm in there and kill everyone in sight."
"I know. We're going to try and not to, but if he comes at us we have no choice but to kill him. You know this."
"I don't think he will. Just promise me you won't let him get caught in the crossfire. It wasn't his fault he was taken away"
"What if he went willingly? He obviously knew they were coming, and enlisted help to protect Onyx. If he was truly protected how would they know about Onyx?"
"I don't know. Maybe they took him and were coming back for him but decided to have Ash get close to him. It's possible that they tortured him into telling them about Onyx."
"Do you think he even knows who Onyx is mated to?" Ezra whispered
"I think so, why would he go through so much to protect him? Plus Alice's mom died soon after. They couldn't just come for us though."
    "We need to go now, Evander said they found something in Norway already" Ezra pulled him down the hallway "Should we wake him?"
    "No, let him rest. We'll talk tomorrow" Atlas' voice was faint as they reached the bottom of the stairs. I wanted to follow but my body wouldn't let me.