The difference between a dream and reality

Y/n pov

"Take her to your room, maybe she'll remember something happier with you" James says to the woman whom i still don't know the name of. But i already remember everything with James, every happy and bad moment in our lives. Up until the point of that chamber. She lays her hand on my hand and the next moment we're in a bedroom, a grey bed that i'm now lying in and her sitting next to me. This is all just too weird. Couldn't just someone please explain what's happening. And how the hell did we get up here, what kind of powers does this woman possess?

"I'll come back with some food in a bit" she says with a sad smile, another memory flashes through my head.

"Natalia, wait" i say and she stops in her steps at the name. "Can't you just sit here with me, we can eat later. Like we used to"

"Sure" she says with a smile on her face. "But my name's Natasha these days" and i smile as i recognise her words and the memory of us in some kind of room, just talking. Her lying in my lap, both of us missing breakfast. She lays on the bed, not touching me but still close. All i can remember is her saying she loves me before she fell asleep in my arms, thats the memory. I remember kissing her forehead then. Brushing her red hair as i'm kissing her. I sit up in the bed and lean against the bedrame.

"I can't tell the difference between memories or dreams, and there's this one that i just can't figure out" i begin, not really knowing how to say it. "It felt so real, but it's good so it also feels like a dream"

"You mean like this?" she asks with a smile as she holds her hand on my cheek. All i can do is lean into the heat of it and humm and answer. She pushes her lips onto mine gently and everything seems right. But another memory passes by in my head that ruins the moment. That i had left her in the same bed i had awoken in, she was hurt... because of me. We separate by a few inches, breathing heavily.

"I think it was more like this" i say and pull her back in. Letting her hands tangle in my hair as i wrap mine around her waist to pull her closer. And she kisses me back. Until i've had enough of a taste to know i'll never have enough. My hands are everywhere up her back and the kiss hardens, becomes deeper, with a fervent urgent need i don't think i've ever known before.

June 22, 1943. Brooklyn USA

"Steve, be careful" i say as he smiles at me as she lies down in some sort of chamber bed.

"I'm always careful" he answers and i let out a laugh before Dr. Erskine proceeds to walk up beside Steve.

"Comfortable?" He asks and Steve feels around a bit.

"It is a litte big" they both laugh. "DId you save me any of that schnapps?"

"Not as much as i should have" he admits. "Sorry, next time"

"Mr Stark, how are your levels"

"Level at one hundred procent" Howard Stark answers as he walks up to us.

"Good"

"We may dim half the light in brooklyn, but we are ready" he breathes. "As we'll ever be"

"Agent Carter, Ms Barnes, don't you think it would be more comfortable in the booth?" Erskine suggests to me and Peggy, gesturing to the booth upstairs filled with men.

"Yes, of course, sorry" she answers and gestures for me to walk. I peek one last glance at Steve before heading up the stairs, and he meets it with a smile. A horrible noise echoes through the speakers as we enter the booth, grabbing everyone's attention.

"Do you hear me? Is this on?" Erskine's voice asks over the speakers. "Ladies and gentlemen, today we take not another step towards annihilation, but the first step towards the path to peace. We begin with a series of micro injections, into the subject's major muscles. The serum infusion will cause immediate cellular change. Then to stimulate growth, the subject will be saturated... with Vita rays."

"That wasn't that bad" we hear Steve say.

"That was penicillin"

"Serum infusion... beginning in, five... four... three... two... one... now Me. Stark" he says and some machines begin to sound. "Steven, can you hear me?"

"Probably too late to go to the bathroom, right?" Steve jokes.

"We will proceed"

"That's ten precent" a light starts to form from the chamber.

"Twenty percent"

"Thirty"

"That's forty percent"

"All vital signs are normal"

"That's fifty precent"

"Sixty"

"Seventy" a scream echoes from the chamber and both you and Peggy rises from your seats.

"Steven... Steven" Erskine yells over the screaming.

"Shut it down" Your voice spreads through the room as you are now standing on the staircase.

"Steven" Dr. Erskine continues to try and contact him.

"Shut it down" Peggy's voice now echoes throughout the room together with Steve's scream.

"Turn back, Mr Stark. Turn it off, kill it, turn it off" Erskine yells but just as they are about to shut it off Steves voice is heard.

"No, i can do this" he screams and they continue.

"Peggy please, do something" you plead to the serious woman beside you.

"He can do this" is the only thing she says before turning her head back down.

"Eighty... Ninety"

"That's one hundred percent" sparks start to fly everywhere as the thing shuts down.

"Mr. Stark" Erskine says and the chamber starts to open up. And there he is, he looks to be bigger than James now. And he's breathing heavily as you and Peggy make your fast steps down.

Early 1945. Somewhere in Italy

Steve walks into the sick tent where i'm working. A nurse's work never ends, especially on the war field.

"Y/n, I need to speak to you" he says with tears in his eyes. I see them and stop for a second with the stitches in the soldier's arm in front of me.

"Just a second, Rogers" i say as i finish up the stitches. But even though stress and fear is filling me, the stitches are perfect. I turn my back to the soldier as he leaves. "You're back already, where's James?" i ask and see tears now falling down his already red and dirty cheeks. "Steve, where is he?"

"I'm so sorry Queene, he's gone" he says and tries to take a step closer to me, but i back away.

"He's been before, are you sure?"

"I'm sure, he's gone for good this time"

"Wha... What happened?" i ask, not really wanting to know. But i have to know, or else i'll never believe it.

"I'm so sorry, i truly am" he says it like it's his fault.

"Answer the damn question Steven... what happened?" i yell but in the end my voice breaks. But as i he doesn't seem to answer, i walk past him out into the open field were soldiers are running around everywhere. I find Peggy instead and tell her what happened, my tears finally falling.

"I'm so sorry Y/n" she says while holding me in her arms. But i'm his twin, i would know if he died. Somehow i know he's not dead, he can't be.

"Promise me you won't do anything stupid" she says, forcing me to meet her gaze. I don't answer when she gets called over by some officers. She holds up a hand that tells me to wait there for her. But i don't, i get up and start walking back to our tent. Well... i never promised... so here's to doing something stupid.