Chapter 3: The Realm's Delight

Start from the beginning

"Ha ha ha."

Alicent smiled at the heartfelt conversation between Aemma and Rhaenyra, a bond between mother and daughter. But at the same time, it made her sad as well - her mother died when she was young and no one bothered to console her in her grief, aside from Aeonar and Rhaenyra.

"We have royal wombs, you and I," Aemma continued her lecture. "We have our duties, your father and brother have theirs. The childbed is our battlefield, the court is theirs. We must learn to face it with a stiff upper lip and support them as best we can, Rhaenyra."

"But I―"

"Trust me. You will get your chance for excitement soon than you might expect it. But until then, our duty to our family must always come first." Aemma sniffed and slightly scrunched her nose. "Now before you see your father, I need you to take a bath. You stink of dragon."

Rhaenyra coyly shook her head. "Come on, mother, I take great care of my hygiene."

"Well do it again. The smell is making me somewhat nauseous."

Not wanting to further upset her mother's delicate state, Rhaenyra merely stood and turned to leave the room. Alicent, meanwhile, turned to leave as well when she heard the queen call out to her.

"Alicent, a moment if you will?"

Alicent turned back to Aemma. What could the queen want to talk to her about? Was she in trouble? Nodding obediently, she approached Aemma and sat beside her. "Yes, Your Grace?" she asked.

"I've been meaning to ask of you. How are things between you and Aeonar?"

"We're doing well, Your Grace," Alicent blushed slightly. "Our duties have often kept us apart for a while, but Aeonar always made time for me whenever he could. He has been nothing but sweet the entire time. I enjoy every second we're together, Your Grace."

"I'm pleased to hear your relationship is working out nicely, Alicent. You two deserve to be happy. He speaks of you with much enthusiasm."

"I'm sure he exaggerates a little bit."

"I wish. But a mother's intuition is a powerful gift. When you have children of your own, Alicent, you will understand what I mean." Aemma shifted on her sofa, groaning slightly. "But what of your father, Ser Otto? Does he know about you two?"

Alicent shook her head. "Not yet, Your Grace, no. I... I hate keeping secrets from father, yet I can't help but be concerned about what his intentions might be." She fidgeted. "I think he's beginning to suspect something."

"Is that why you pick yourself bloody?" Aemma pointed towards Alicent's fingernails, the presence of dried blood around her cuticles from her anxious skin picking. "Alicent, if something is bothering you, please don't be afraid to speak up or come to either of us for help. We have known you since you were a little girl. You're like a second daughter to Viserys and me - we wish nothing but the best for you."

"I understand, Your Grace. And I am grateful for your support. But I wouldn't wish to make my problems your own."

"No, but they will regardless. And if I hear Aeonar has been doing something he shouldn't, I'll be sure to give him a firm reprimand after dragging him by his earlobe."

Alicent chuckled slightly.

One of the handmaidens approached. "We've prepared a bath for you, Your Grace."

"Thank you," Aemma groaned. "Well, I suppose we should get back to it. Take good care of yourself, Alicent."

"I will. And thank you, Your Grace," Alicent bowed before taking her leave. As she left, she felt a stinging sensation in her fingers. Briefly looking at her hands, Alicent knew tearing the skin around her fingertips until they bleed was wrong - but she cannot help herself from feeling so overwhelmed and stressed out. With these thoughts running through her head, Alicent could help but start picking at them again before quickly concealing her hands in her sleeves. I am trying to stop, Your Grace. I am trying, but... it is hard.