1x1 'Pilot'

They say family is the most important thing in life. They say home is where the heart is. That's bullshit. Wanna know why? Yes? Well, here we go I guess. I'm Holly Anderson, your average 18 year old who just sits in her crib all day smoking weed. Clueless mother, crazy step-father, psychopathic step-brother, forgotten step-sister and it girl step- sister. That's me. Step family you ask? Yeah, pretty rough. My dad died when I was 5, never really knew him but I'm glad I didn't to be honest. So my mom and I were kinda poor since then we lived on the cut side of Outer Banks. Then my mom met Ward Cameron, a single father with three kids and a whole lot of cash in his wallet. So they dated, then got married, and I guess this is my life now. Enjoy xoxo.

I tossed and turned in my bed as the storm raged outside, it was Storm Agatha wrecking Outer Banks and it was here to stay. I sighed and pulled the duvet over my head, I knew it was no where near morning so I would have to try and get back to sleep. I had two options, I could try and get back to sleep which could take hours, or I could sneak into my step-brothers room and steal some of his bud. I groaned and stepped out of bed. I didnt have to be too careful about being quiet since I practically lived in a mansion, my room and Rafe's rooms were on the top floor, whilst my parents, Sarah and Wheezie's were on the 2nd floor below us. Rafe's room was just down the hall so it would be easy to sneak in and steal from. I crept to the other side of my room, the wind outside battering the windows and doors giving it an eerie effect. I slowly opened my door, feeling the draft from the house snake through. I stepped out into the hall, shutting the door over a bit so it left a gap in the middle. I tiptoed down the hall, past the bathroom, laundry room and closet. I turned towards my step- brothers room and took a hold of the handle, pulling it down and opening it. Fuck. It stunk. Mostly of weed and beer with a mix of after shave. Rafe and I had never been particularly close, there was only a year between us with him being older but we occasionally hung out together. By that I mean sharing weed. We both seriously had a problem. My eyes scanned the room until I spied him, lying in his bed with the covers over him, sound asleep. I walked over to the other side of the room to his desk where I knew he kept his stash. I opened the door and winced as it made an outrageously loud noise. I reached inside and just as I was about to grab a small box a voice cried "What the hell?" I jumped, closing the draw shut and turning around. Rafe was stood there, half asleep, probably high and confused "What are you doing?" He asked furiously, his fists clenched "I need something" I explained, he groaned "you know the rules about not going into each others rooms!" Jeez what was he hiding in here? A dead body? "I know, I know, it won't happen again I promise" He sighed, walking over to the drawer and pulled out a box "Here, but you better pay me back!" "I will!" I assured him, snatching the box out of his hand and leaving his room. Lesson learned, never sneak into your step-brothers room at 2am.

The Next Morning:
I sat up, voices filling my ears and my vision blurred. I looked around my room, despite the drugs I'd actually managed to fall asleep. I placed the cigarette onto my bedside and glanced at the clock. It was 11am and from the voices outside, storm Agatha had hit hard. I stumbled out of my bed, still slightly high and my blonde hair a mess. I walked over to my balcony, pulling the veil across and opening the glass door. I stepped outside, the wind hitting my face. Holy shit, the storm had hit hard leaving trees all over the place and leaving the front yard of Tanny Hill a mess. I watched as my step- father's workers worked hard trying to clean up the mess. I noticed Ward talking to some woman and my two mediocre step-sisters pratting about on the grass "Douches" I muttered, shaking my head. I sighed, it was so humid. I stepped back inside and pulled some clothes on. I looked in the mirror, breathing in and putting on my fake smile. Deep breaths Holly, you can get through today. Thats what I said every morning. I left my room, walking down the first flight of stairs and arriving on the second floor where my mom (Rose) was climbing up the stairs, clearly pissed about the storm "It's like living in Nicaragua" She said to Ward who was stood at the bottom of the stairs, looking for Sarah. I watched as my mom climbed up the stairs, glass of alcohol in her hand. I raised my eyebrow "It's a little too early for that don't you think?" I exclaimed, she shook her head "It's never too early" I laughed, and watched as she trudged across the landing. I ran down the stairs as my ears filled with the sound of machines and gadgets. Your probably thinking I have the perfect life, I'm rich, I have a family, I have everything I could possibly imagine. Yeah well trust me, its not that great. I walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, nothing good. I opened a cupboard and took out a cereal bar, ripping open the wrapping and biting into it. I leaned against the table, watching the workers trying to get a tree out of the pool. Jeez I really needed to escape this place. I left the kitchen and walked into the front yard and on to the lawn where Wheezie, my 13 year old step-sister was stood. She looked up at me "The WiFi won't work and my dad won't do anything about it!" She groaned, I rolled my eyes "Not my problem" I exclaimed, shrugging my shoulders. I walked towards the other end of the yard and screamed as someone bumped into me "shit, I'm sorry" exclaimed Topper, Sarah's boyfriend as he made sure I was ok. I blushed "Don't worry about it" I said, I guess you could say I'd always had a thing for Topper, he was only a few months younger than me and we shared the same friends so we hung out together. I guess I was kinda jealous when he got with Sarah, but I had to accept that we were never gonna happen. So I did- sorta "What are you doing here? Are you okay?" I asked curiously "I'm looking for Sarah" my heart sank, of course he was. I turned around, looking at what Sarah was doing, she was running around the grass with a net. I raised an eyebrow "I think she's kind of busy right now" "Yeah..." He nodded "She left her purse at my house, could you pass it on to her?" I took it from him "Sure" "Thanks" He said, walking away, his eyes glued to Sarah. I turned around where Wheezie was still stood, fiddling with her phone "Hey could you pass this on to Sarah?" I asked practically shoving it into her arms "Hey!" She called as I walked away, a cheeky smile plastered across my face.