"Jules?" I heard someone call out. "Jules?" I heard the same voice call again.

All of a sudden a hand shook my shoulder.

"Are you ok?" the same voice from before asked, but I now realized it was Charlotte's voice.

"Oh..." My mind snapped back to my surroundings. "Yeah, sorry." I replied still short minded.

She nodded hesitantly before leaning in closer, whispering to me. "Andre asked me what to get you."

"What?"

"Yeah. He said he wanted to make sure you liked it." She replied. "You know, I think he likes you."

"Oh." I said trying to get away from the topic. "Do you know if this movie is-"

"Did Andre do something? He texted me during History to make sure you were ok because you ran off. Omg, wait." Her eyes grew wide as a smirk rose her lips. "Did he kiss you?" She asked rather loudly.

My eyes grew wide at her being loud. "Shh! And yes he did..." I whisper shouted at her blushing from embarrassing. "But I didn't-"

"Oh My Goodness Juliana!" Charlotte exclaimed in her normal voice. "You totally loved it didn't you! Remember how in love you were-"

"Juliana and Charlotte, I do hope you are paying attention to this movie seeing as there will be an essay due on it." Ms. Olsen said suddenly, finally making eye contact with me and acknowledging me. Her eyes narrowed with anger as she stared at me.

"Sorry..." I whispered back as Ms. Olsen finally took her eyes off me and went back to her computer.

"Gosh, what a prick." Charlotte whispered to me side eyeing Ms. Olsen before slouching on her hand and paying attention to the movie.

I wanted to defend Lizzie, but I was scared to talk again. In turn, I slumped my head down on my own hand and tried not to cry with the new stress growing in me.

___________
When the bell finally rang, Ms Olsen finally rose and paused the movie. "We'll finish this tomorrow. You're all are excused."

Charlotte was the first to exit the room with a loud huff followed by everyone else slipping out quietly. I quickly tried following behind not wanting to stay behind this time.

"Julianna." She said in an icy tone making me freeze just a step away from the door. "Stay behind."

I lowered my bag on the chair and took a deep breath before slowly turning around and walked towards Ms. Olsen who was staring daggers at me.

"I don't appreciate you being distracted in my classroom, Julianna." She said while I stared at the floor in fear I might cry.  "If you wish to discuss something as silly as a boy you can do it outside of my classroom."

My eyebrows creased at the way she said "boy," such distaste as if it were old gum her delicate hands had accidentally touched.

"Are you... are you talking about Andre?" I asked hesitantly lifting my head.

Her eye slightly twitched at Andre's name. "Whatever his name is, I don't need it being discussed in my classroom," she said raising her voice. "Especially something as a pathetic so called kiss..." she muttered under her breath.

This brought my attention to her. I stared harder that her as she went silent for a minute with her clenching her jaw, envy shadowing her eyes.

I'd seen the look before. Felt it before. The longing for something that isn't yours. Something you can't have. The clawing at another for having what you want was something I knew all too well. Jealousy.

"Wait..." I said trying to hide a grin that wanted to show itself on my face, "are you jealous?"

Her nose twitched, so small you'd miss it if you blinked. "What on earth would I be jealous of? A boy who has to coward in a library to peck a girl? I don't think so," she scoffed looking straight at me

Her tone tried to assert dominance but her eyes begged for belief.

"Ok, so then why are we discussing my kiss from the library if it didn't upset you." I said raising my eyebrow. I watched as her eyes flashed from my lips to my eyes, very subtly, as I spoke.

She backed up till she hit her desk and sat on the top. She let out a soft sigh, "Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday?"

I met with her now sorrowful eyes and everything that had just happened washed away and a form of guilt took over. I hadn't known she wanted to know my birthday, but perhaps I should've known it was important? But, why would she want too know?

"What?" I asked.

"Why did An-" she stopped herself in her tracks rolling her eyes before she continued. "Jules everyone knew it was your birthday, except for me."

"Uh. I didn't think it mattered. But, uhh I guess it does?" I said trying to figure out why she had given me such mixed signals over an unknown birthday.

"Jules!" She said loudly and got up getting closer to me. "Of course it matters! How could I possibly not have know your birthday? I would've loved to have surprised you with something just like your friends did this morning... as a thank you, of course, for... uhh.." She looked around the room before finding her record player, "the record and flowers you got me."

"I'm sorry," was all I got out. I didn't know exactly how to feel. On one hand I felt some guilt for not telling her my birthday, but in my defense I didn't know the woman wanted to know. And on the other hand, I felt strangely happy that she cared so much about me.

"No, I'm sorry. I just..." she trailed off. "How old did you turn, love?" She asked trying to take hold of the conversation that was scattered everywhere.

"18." I shyly replied not knowing what to say at this point.

"Wow. Legal adult, huh?" She smiled at me in what I think was an attempt to lighten the mood.

"Yeah, I guess so." I smile back awkwardly.

"Are you doing anything special with your family?" She asked.

The question for some reason had caught me off guard. The whole day I'd been distracted by everything that I had forgotten just how alone I'd be the second I stepped out of the school doors.

"Oh. Umm, actually my family's gone to see my step dad's mom so I'm on my own for tonight. But it's ok, it doesn't really matter." I said smiling. I wasn't lying, it really didn't matter. I enjoyed my own company. For a short time of course, before the overthinking took over. But this would be perfect for me to finally clean my room.

"Wait." Her eyes narrowed as disbelief started making its way across her face. "They left you? On your birthday? Of all days?"

"Uh... yeah.

She let out an angry scoff and turned her head away from me in disbelief. She closed her eyes getting lost in thought before her eyes finally opened wide with what seemed like a breakthrough. "Are you doing anything with your friends?"

"...no." I said thinking about how much of a loser that probably made me sound.

To my surprise, my response made pleased as her eyes grew even wider and that beautiful smile of hers grew across her face.

"Perfect. Go home, get into comfy clothes, and I'll be there at 7."

__________
A/N: little miss lizzie is going crazy just like me 🤞 ok so i'm sorry for my terrible updating but in my defense i've been studying to pass my government test bc how am i supposed to know the whole constitution and amendments like im dying 😭 but thank you so much for your interest and waiting on me 🤞 ok but fr i promise that i'll have the next update by tuesday