32 Fool

The next few days went by relatively quickly. Reinforcements roped in from Osiriya and Livadon by the headquarters filled the secured premises with officers running errands. Movements about the premises almost tripled; with two distinct teams planning and preparing for their respective operations.

On the other hand, Wedon had chosen not to send further forces as their key representatives were already here. While it was not the first time Riftan had to work with an entirely new team, he was still concerned when it came to such a large operation. Team camaraderie was essential as they had to trust and rely on one another for immediate life-and-death decisions during outfields. As such, the captain had been spending his days and nights with his team, ensuring that he understood their calibers inside-out.

Of course, that was not to say that he completely lost contact with the rest. Chief Nirta still called in regularly to ensure their well-being. There were also occasional visits from Prosecutor Leon, Sergeant Charon and Coroner Serbel; the first to check on him, second to update him and third to nag at him.

To his surprise, Riftan actually felt comfortable working with Ruth. He was aware of the latter's capability from their first encounter back at the mortuary. And even though the coroner could be completely oblivious and socially odd at times, he was a team member that could be trusted. It was as if they had some sort of affinity already; a strange bond formed between them such that they were able to complement one another in their strengths and shortcomings.

I'll never admit that though.

Riftan thought to himself, clearly aware that the coroner needed no further boost to his ego. He rolled his eyes upon that thought. The man then zipped up the black duffel bag he was packing, ready to check out of his room.

This should suffice for the trip.

A wanderer since young, Riftan was accustomed to travelling light. In fact, the additional few years of police academy had taught him to further streamline his inventory. He only needed the minimum to survive.

"Captain?"

A knock resonated on his door. It was Elliot.

"A second."

Riftan responded impatiently. Adjusting his bag strap, the man surveyed the room he had resided the past few days. He was all ready to get away from the exotic animal prints, end this operation and head back to Anatol as soon as possible.

His eyes however stubbornly lingered on the connecting door between their rooms.

He had not seen her since that fateful day. His training sessions would start before the sun was up, and his meetings would end long after it descended. As such, he barely saw light from her room.

Perhaps it's for the better.

The image of her sitting in her bed with teary eyes still haunted him. It was one of the rare moments she truthfully revealed her inner thoughts to him, yet it had to be one of the most painful ones.

And the realisation that day...

Riftan sighed and subconsciously reached into his pocket. He fiddled with its content for a while. The texture imprinted on his fingertips felt like he was branded instead. Exhaling aloud yet again, Riftan finally swung his duffel bag over his shoulder and walked to the door.

This will be the final debrief before we head out for our respective missions.

***

"I see that we've all assembled."

Quahel Leon commanded as he studied the room. He was armoured today, dressed in a black suit with his bulletproof vest hidden within. Riftan squinted his eyes at the impractical outfit but kept his mouth shut. Perhaps the prosecutor had a smart suit like royal secret agents in movies, since anything was really possible at this stage with all these fantastical beasts and potions happening.