07 Discovery

"My boys have returned!"

An enthusiastic voice boomed across the office as Captain Calypse pushed open the glass entrance and entered. Grinning broadly at his subordinates, Chief Nirta waved for them to follow him into the main meeting room. The discussion was already ongoing amongst the present group, with Lieutenant Rikaido, Sergeant Livakion and a few other detectives burying their heads in an intense conversation. Noticing the additional attendance, Uslin quickly stopped to address them.

"Good news, Garou has managed to locate suspicious purchases of surgical tools via the dark web about three months ago."

The conference screen projected a wide array of medical instruments. There were also screenshots of digital receipts and coded conversations.

"We've been tracing the scrambled IP addresses behind the payment. The killer should still be in Wedon. Sidina's also running through the list of instruments with Ruth to verify if the tools were tailored for the removed organs. Any updates about the victims, Captain?"

Riftan unfolded his arms and sat up straight as he took over the projector controller from his lieutenant. He was deep in thoughts but snapped immediately back to attention as he transitioned the screen to the portrait shots of three women.

"The icy conditions have allowed us to identify the third victim. With calculated assumptions, we were able to trace the other two via the list of missing people in Wedon. Kudos to Charon and the coroner for the hard work."

A sudden cough erupted from Elliot's chest. Chief Nirta had slapped his brusque hand on the sergeant's back in approval. Riftan regarded the interaction blankly before returning to his explanation.

"We have managed to match the bodies to these women. Emma Canfield, 26 years old, a medical research student. Althea Grace, 26, paramedic. And finally Mathilda Rosella, 27, a language teacher who volunteered in the church as a nurse. All three victims were of ethnicity type 6, unmarried and working in medical fields."

"Does our killer have some sort of occupational fetish?"

"Possibly. Or he could be looking for an assistant, considering the precision required in his ritual."

"He?"

Riftan answered both questions from the deputy chief firmly.

"Yes, him. Charon?"

Elliot stood up from his seat and gently addressed the room as he took over the controller from his captain.

"Thanks to the direction of Captain Calypse, we have also studied the surveillance footages where the women were last seen. Before they disappeared, all three victims appeared to have left unwillingly with a masked man into a silver Toyota Hiace. From his physique and mannerism, we should be looking at a man in his thirties to forties. Ruth has also found biological samples of an unknown animal on the victims, and we're working to identify it to narrow his profile."

"Well done, team. So many breakthroughs within two days. And you, Cap. You've definitely proven yourself worthy of my headcount."

The room boomed with Chief Nirta's thunderous claps. Following in the steps of their superior, the squad started to congratulate and encourage one another. Elliot and Garou were exceptionally recognised by the seniors, their faces glowing red from the shower of appraisals. As Riftan observed the team dynamics, he then stood up from his seat and headed out for his desk with a composed face.

Beep.

A flash appeared from his mobile screen. Glancing down, the man coarsely rubbed a hand over his chin as he read the message: