13 Arrest

"Captain."

Captain Calypse raised his hand in response to the blonde-haired detective approaching him. Riftan had just arrived back at the office with Elliot and Maximillian from the crime scene. Night had already fallen on Anatol but the department was still swarming with people and their agendas since the recent arrest.

Despite Riftan's reluctance for the professor to follow them back to the police station, he knew better than to persuade the stubborn woman. He was convinced by her medical expertise, after all, considering the superb work she did on his wound. Admittedly, he also felt more assured having her close to him.

The drive on his G-wagon was relatively peaceful. Considerate and courteous as always, Elliot had been ensuring Maximillian's comfort by gently asking after her throughout the journey. Most of the questions largely touched on her travels and research work, without being too tiring for the professor to handle. Riftan listened to her soft replies keenly but quietly. Even though he felt a tinge of acidity, Riftan was glad to have the sergeant around. He was afraid the intimate incident might be too embarrassing for him to be alone with the professor. The touch of Maximillian's petite frame in his embrace lingered on his chest still.

From the corner of his eyes, he was aware that Maximillian would peer towards him periodically. Her hands, which were on her lap, showed subtle moments of anxiety. His brows furrowed upon the sight as he fought the urge to hold those slender hands in his to reassure her.

How have I grown to care so much about another person?

"Captain?"

Uslin asked after Riftan again. The usually stoic lieutenant appeared troubled.

Glancing back at Elliot and Maximillian, Riftan noticed her silver eyes were brimming with concern. However, he had to dismiss them to attend to Uslin. The captain exchanged a knowing look with his partner, who nodded and led the professor into a resting room. It was a space they used frequently to host families of victims or guests to the station. Even though Riftan had not use the room before, he remembered it to be designed for comfort and rest. There was even a changing room for the guests to freshen up or take a nap. The professor should be comfortable there, Riftan assured himself. He took a long look at the professor's back before following Uslin into a smaller room.

"How did the interrogation go?"

Riftan calmly asked after the lieutenant as he entered the room. He stared intently through the tinted window. The suspect who was currently interrogated by another officer, was visible to them via the one-way glass.

"We've got his name — Ed Branson."

"Branson... is he from the North?"

"Yes, Balto."

It did not surprise Riftan where the suspect came from. Even without his family name, the gigantic physique, coarse accent and cruel mentality were unfortunately all rather telling of the northern region. The brutal man was now leaning back in his chair. His burly arms were up and behind his head while his eyes were half-closed, as if the interrogation was too boring for him.

"What is he doing here in Wedon then? When did he arrive?"

"Half a year ago. He was running away from multiple charges — an extensive list from public intoxication, drug offenses to armed robberies — even though he had denied committing any of them."

"Any crimes of physical or sexual abuse?"

"Spouse harassment — a protection order was filed against him by his wife half a decade ago. Nothing physical, but mental abuse is just as damaging."