15 Target

Bullets ran through the target repeatedly; each shot precise and merciless. However, despite the countless rounds of attacks, no screams were heard and no blood was shed. The target then started to creep towards its shooter.

Captain Calypse took a deep exhalation as he scrutinised the target board with a silhouette of a man printed on it. Noting the perfect score, the man then swiftly disarmed his revolver and removed his ear muff.

"Marksman, again?"

Glancing up, Riftan acknowledged the presence of his chief behind him with a slight head tilt. The captain rolled his shoulder back and waited patiently as the screen analysed his firing performance. The living firing range system would require some time to calculate his shooting accuracy and other human factors such as his breathing, trigger motion and gaze fixation. To be honest, Riftan was already able to estimate his score based on his performance. The system was just a validation.

"At this rate, no one in the western continent will ever be able to beat the scores you have set in Anatol. You should take a chill pill while you can, Cap."

Hebaron commented proudly and chuckled upon reading the results. Placing a large hand over his subordinate's shoulder, he squeezed and attempted a massage on the latter's muscles.

"It's been two weeks since the serial murderer has been apprehended. The paperwork has been pretty much settled already, thanks to Elliot. Our boy is always excellent with such administrative matters."

"He is a great team player."

Nodding his head, Riftan genuinely agreed with his superior. Sergeant Charon was indeed earning the spot as his most trustable comrade yet. In fact, he was growing fond of this team and was already looking forward to the next case together. Looking around the live firing range, he could see Elliot, Uslin and a few other detectives next to him. As always, the lieutenant's blonde hair was impeccable. Running a hand through his own hair, Riftan frowned slightly when he noticed the usual tuft sticking out to the right of his head. The head band from his ear muffs seemed to encourage its rebellion.

"I noticed that you haven't had a day off despite the lighter workload, Cap."

Riftan could feel Hebaron's eyes burning on his back, his voice deepening with concern. The captain quickly tapped on the analysis screen for another round of practice. The last thing he wanted was to be tangled into another meddlesome session with the orange-haired giant.

"You've got to learn how to relax after each case! I don't want my team to be burning out."

"Noted, Chief. But I'm still learning the ropes of this department."

A large boom of laughter filled the small firing range. It was so loud that the other detectives had removed their muffs as well to tune into their conversation.

"Learning the ropes? Your humble pie can feed the entire city, Cap! You're one of the best detectives that has ever graced Anatol."

Annoyed, Riftan felt a sudden urge to turn around and cover that embarrassingly loud mouth of his chief. However, the captain could only clench his fist in exasperation. The screen pulsated with a green light, indicating that the range was ready for another round.

"No seriously, take a day off. Go on a date! Isn't there someone in your life? What was the lovely lady's name again – Maximillian?"

Riftan felt his blood running cold upon the name. Frustrated, he immediately placed on the ear muffs. With the ear protection on, he began to shoot rapidly at the target. The board trembled upon his rage.

"Alright, alright. I'll leave you alone for now."

Reading the atmosphere well, the harassment from his superior finally ceased and the team continued with their practice.