23 Shelter

Maximillian returned his gaze in surprise, before peering down at their intertwined hands.

"I'm not sure if I-I should."

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

Squeezing her petite hand slightly, Riftan assured her. Her veins were visibly blue against her fair skin, while her bones vulnerably small in his grip. The need to protect her heightened instantaneously. 

"I've read that it's easier to cope with loss when you vocalise it to someone else."

The professor bit her lips and considered his request. She sighed softly.

"He w-was tall, dark and handsome..."

"Hmm."

Riftan acknowledged softly. A mild acidity was rising in his stomach but he swallowed it back down.

"Attracted and commanded attention wherever he went. He was fearfully courageous as well — the sort of man who would charge towards a dragon and fight it face to face."

"Hmm hmm."

"He was smart, perceptive and had great leadership. His people looked up to him for they knew they could trust and follow him. And he too, cared for them."

Her eyes were a mixture of pride and sadness, brimming with emotions that she could not bear to reveal. Riftan squeezed her cold hand and brought it to his face.

"Sounds as charming as me?"

"Comparable."

She giggled and leaned towards him. Taking in a deep breath, she then wrinkled her nose and commented.

"But you smell fresher."

The two laughed softly in response, allowing for some humour to lighten the atmosphere a little. Riftan then planted a kiss on her forehead.

"How long have you been together?"

Maximillian smiled faintly at the question.

"Too short. We spent most of our time apart."

"Work?"

"Yes, in the modern definition. And I-I regretted t-that till this day."

Riftan nodded empathetically. He fiddled with a stray strand of her hair.

"You must have cared for him a lot. Does he care the same for you too?"

Maximillian did not respond to his question. Instead, she gazed back into his eyes and held the contact in silence. Once again, it appeared that she was searching for something in his eyes but to no avail.

"He did... in w-ways which I-I wished I knew e-earlier. I-I could have then s-stopped him..."

With that, the professor stuttered and fell into silence. Riftan recognised this expression that she would always have; a forlorn state of melancholy she would always escape to whenever she was upset.

"Maxi?"

He asked gently after her, hoping to pull her back into the present moment.

"How did he pass?"

Without looking back at him, her hands began to tremble in his. Shit, my curiosity got the better of me. Guilt-stricken, Riftan immediately pulled Maximillian into his embrace, running his hand on her back.

"Hey, I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me."

Maximillian continued to tremble uncontrollably in his arms, her petite frame seeming even more vulnerable than usual. Her sobbing remained inconsolable for some time as she heaved between her tears. Just then, Riftan caught an incomprehensible mumble from her. Tilting his head lower, it was then when he could hear her faint whisper.