24 Passing

"Captain?"

Riftan felt the hair on the back of his neck stood up despite the gentle voice calling after him. He fumbled to place the portraiture back on the table but it was too late. Caught red-handed, the detective turned his head to find Maximillian observing him worriedly.

"R-Riftan...?"

She repeated after him; her tone so soft it was close to a whisper. Her eyes surveyed his expression carefully, only to dilate wildly when she noticed the photo frame in his hand. Maximillian inhaled sharply upon the realisation.

"R-Rif..."

"Maxi."

Riftan stopped the professor. His voice was eerily controlled like the calm waters before a storm. With a dark expression, he locked his eyes onto Maximillian's silvery orbs. Even at this moment, he could feel his soul drawn helplessly into hers. Stiffening his jaw, the man continued.

"I've never asked this before..."

The man deliberated over his words, cautiously trying not to spit them out all at once.

"What is your late husband's name?"

"I-I can explain..."

Clenching his fists so tight that his nails dug into his skin, Riftan closed his eyes and repeated his question again.

"His name, Maxi?"

Upon the tremendous pressure, the professor eventually let out an exasperated whimper. Her eyes were brimming in tears but the man could not bring himself to comfort her. She answered him timidly.

"Riftan. Riftan Calypse."

Fuck.

Bitter bile immediately shot up his throat. In a fit of anger, the man threw the photo frame across her room. The glass shards that shattered on the floor could not cut him any deeper than her answer.

No matter how hard I tried, I can never seem to get out of this cursed cycle. A clown of fate, a puppet of destiny, a joke to the only person I have ever fell for.

***

"Sorry, I'm late."

Sergeant Charon diverted his attention from the projector screen to a small red presence that appeared in the dimmed conference room.

He watched amusingly as Maximillian crept in, sat on the nearest chair available and acknowledged the team bashfully before setting up her laptop for note-taking — all these while keeping her head as low as possible.

Elliot was surprised. Unlike the chief coroner, he had never once seen the professor late to any of their meetings.

It had been a week since the prosecutor had gathered the response team. Since that afternoon where the captain and professor went away discreetly, he had barely seen the couple in office thereafter. It was fine though, there was only paperwork to clear while they waited for the HQ. Nonetheless, he missed the croissants from Maximillian, considering how he was no longer able to eat any pastries from other bakeries anymore.

Then again, considering what has happened to the captain, it is understandable that she is late.

"No croissants? I'm surprised you're even here today."

Stunned, the professor looked up to find the chief coroner rolling up beside her.

What.

She mouthed at Ruth, reluctant to disrupt the session further. The chief coroner cleared his throat and attempted to repeat himself, albeit way louder this time.