12 Rage

Captain Calypse steered his wagon sharply into the narrow road that led to the same entrance of Wedon Nature Reserve. His heart felt like it was in his mouth. The detective had been anxiously waiting for the professor's reply since responding to her on the road. However, his notification screen remained empty every time he checked his mobile. His calls were not picked up as well.

Answer me, damn it.

A gleam of pastel green caught his attention. Glancing in the direction, Riftan noted that the Vespa Primavera was abandoned in a hurry. Dark premonition seeped into his bones. The captain leaped off his vehicle, nimbly landing on soft snow. He then started to scrutinise the grounds for a trail. Her footsteps were wide and heavy, an indication that she had ran into the woods. Blood pounded in his ears. The detective drew his pistol up.

Despite the midday sun up in the sky, the forest was eerily quiet. Void of any presence of animals, it felt as if everyone had scrambled from the scene. The snowscape was also painfully white, making it hard to see afar amidst the blinding reflection. Riftan followed the footsteps frantically, mentally verifying that the trail was similar to the path they had taken that night. He kept surveying the dense woods, hoping to catch a glimpse of her fiery mane.

Professor, professor, professor.

After what felt like ages, a sudden disruption to the rhythmic pattern of her footsteps appeared. Glancing up, the first camera which he had placed with the professor was in the bushes right in front of him. It appeared to have been significantly displaced, as if it had been inspected then abandoned. Goosebump started to form on his skin. Picking up speed, the detective hurried after the footsteps.

Riftan passed by a wooden bridge over a frozen stream, and continued following the trail deeper into the forest. A small black device contrasted starkly amidst the white snow. The camera had been mercilessly plucked out from its original location between the rocks onto the unforgiving icy grounds. Riftan felt his body shivering at the sudden onset of perspiration on his neck. He had never been more anxious than he felt now. Fear was returning like a long-lost childhood nemesis.

Where the heck are you, Professor?

Just then, the sudden crack of a breaking branch resonated from a distance. Tightening his grip around his pistol, Riftan darted towards the sound.

A lonely fire stood low amidst the bitter white landscape. Riftan heaved a sigh of relief. Slowing his pace down, the man was about to approach the figure when his heart suddenly dropped. His gut feeling was telling him a different story.

The cardinal mane was on the ground moving horizontally. Dragged by a brutal coarse hand, the beautiful tresses were dehumanised like reins used to pull discarded cardboards.

Riftan's eyes darkened dangerously as he digested the sight in front of him. His jaws clenched in anger and his pistol before him shook with rage. However, the detective struggled to maintain a clear shot at the attacker as the latter was struggling wildly to contain the woman's fight. Her pale hands were clawing at the attacker's arms, but the oppressive strength appeared to be too overwhelming for her.

"Professor!"

His thunderous roar attracted their attention and the attacker stood in his tracks, his despicable hand still on her hair. A pair of panic-stricken eyes stared right back at him, the pain in her expression stabbing right into his chest.

"Cap-captain..."

Something snapped within him. Tearing his gaze away from her, Riftan locked his eyes on the cruel man instead, his pistol now directed right at the man's forehead.