Chapter 16- Sow

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future."
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭31:25‬ ‭NLT‬‬
~ Aniyah
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Today we all attended church. My mom was preaching this week and I didn't want to miss it. Considering the fact I no longer operate the business, I have more time to commit to the church.

The moment I stepped foot into church I was bombarded with problems. I added like ten more things to the "what to fix at church" list. I added my own point, which would be to get rid of the tacky decor in the church lobby.

From the brown chairs that's been there since my childhood, to the paintings of black Jesus that the church mothers insist stays. It's got to go.

After service, we all met up at Salome's house. Amare went to get him and Elijah some food, they promised to come by later.

We're all sitting around in the living room. My nephews were upstairs having a heated debate over some game they were playing.

"Where's Keziah?" My mom asked, "it's enough she missed church, but she didn't even come say hello since I've been here." My mom said. She sat back in the recliner and crossed her arms.

I looked at Salome and she was staring right back at me.

We have to tell them about Jacob, now

"Why y'all staring at each other all weird and stuff." Tevin asked.

"Tev mind yo business." Salome rolled her eyes at him.

My mom looked between all of us. Her face rested. "Tell me."

My heart dropped and im guessing so did Salome's with the look on her face. My moms intuition is why I was on punishment most of my childhood. I can't hide anything from her. She just knows.

"We went and met with Keziahs biological father. There I said it." I said as I threw my hands up in defeat.

"ANIYAH!" Salome shrieked like a child. Kamiah, who was laying in her cot in the living room, began to fuss in consequence of her mothers yelling.Keveen took no time to pick her up and lay her on his chest.

"So this what we doing now?" Tevin said with a mug on his face. "You two disgust me." He crossed his legs and folded his arms, turning his head away from me in disgust.

This boy.

"Listen. We know it's wrong we didn't tell you but Salome had to do this for herself without the pressure of others knowing. Don't be mad mom."

She looked me in my eyes and pursed her lips. "What happened when you went?"

"We talked to him. Told him about Keziah. He didn't know she's... um alive." I told my mom in a slight whisper.

"You mean to tell me, this man hasn't known about his daughters existence for 14 years. This whole time I just assumed he didn't want anything to do with her." My mom rushed out in an annoyed tone.

This must be so confusing for her. Since Salome was pregnant, she's been wanting to know about this mystery guy.

I think Jacob is pretty cool just off the few minutes I had with him. It hurt me to see him like that, I can't imagine what he's thinking right now.

"Momma. He's a great guy. He would have taken care of Keziah and been a great dad to her but it was me who kept her from him and hid her existence. I failed as her mom." Salome broke down as she said the last sentence.