Chapter 13- Oblivion

"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it."
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭22:6‬ ‭NLT‬‬
~Aniyah
________________________________

"In loving memory of Aarron Williams..." the gravestone read.

It's my first time back here since his passing. Amare and I are sitting next to each other on the bench that faces my fathers grave.

It's cloudy out, just like the day we buried him. It's been over a month since it happened. The grass is just now peeking over his grave.

"You know, I can imagine him in heaven. Dancing with the angels." Amare said with a laugh. Even though he was laughing, I can tell he's sad.

"Amare, how was it raising Elijah by yourself?" I asked.

"It was hard, your dad helped a lot but I had to make sure that Elijah didn't have a want and he didn't. I work in construction now but before I got this job I wanted to be a pastor," he stared at the plot of land my dad now rest in.

"My mom was too busy getting high, you know I see her sometimes." He shook his head.

"See her where?" I asked him.

"Just you know, walking around our old hood. She looks so small Aniyah, she's sick."

I laid my head on his shoulder. My mom was my best friend growing up. I didn't have anything to say to help him, I just rubbed his arm and let him know I'm here.

He sat up straighter and cleared his throat. "I actually wanted to ask you something."

"Yeah what's up?" I asked.

"It's Keziah, the guys had a conversation a few weeks ago with your mom. We feel it's time she meets her dad."

"Well I agree but Salome isn't telling us anything, I was supposed to go over there today and see the baby, If I feel it's the right time I'll ask her."

"Okay. I know it's not my business but Keziah is obviously messed up over this and Keveen is too. He feels like Keziah doesn't want him to be her dad."

I didn't know Keveen had these thoughts....

"I'll try my best okay?"

"Thank you." He said as he pulled me into a hug, "when we gonna go on our lil date?" He asked me.

I blushed and hid my face in his chest.

"Stop hiding." He gently touched my chin and made me look at him.

"We go whenever you ready I guess." I told him playfully rolling my eyes.

This man always makes me feel like a teenager again, crushing over some boy.

"Okay ma." He said as I blushed, melting inside.

"How's Elijah?" I asked him trying to distract myself . The sky was starting to clear, the sun shined directly on his face.

"He's fine, he's actually happy. Simone drives him crazy though. He's always bringing her something to eat. I'm supposed to meet her parents tomorrow actually."

"That's good Amare. Maybe we can go out tomorrow before you do that?"

"Yeah why not."

"I did want to go to the park and have a picnic." I told him showing him pictures on my phone of some ideas.

Yes, I already planned this date last week...

"Oh she came prepared!" He laughed while scrolling through the pictures.

"Yeah we can do this ma, I'll pick you up tomorrow morning okay? I'll handle everything." He kissed my cheek and inside I melted again for the second time today.
________________________________

We stayed at the graveyard a bit longer and we had lunch after. It felt good to go see my dad, I've missed him.

I'm sitting with Salome right now in her room. The boys are outside playing and Keziah is watching them. Keveen is in the kitchen cooking something.

Kamiah is sleeping peacefully in Salome's arms. She's eating so much, she looks much bigger than the last time I saw her.

"How's the kids?"

"Their fine, everyone is so obsessed Kamiah. The boys love her."

Maybe now is the time to ask....

"What about Keziah?"

"She loves her sister too! She dresses her up all the time, but something's off."

"Yeah? What's wrong."

"I can't tell but I know she's off. You know she yelled at Keveen a few days ago saying how he's not her dad and he can't tell her what to do." Salome sighed and shook her head.

"Since she was a baby Keveen is the only dad she knew so now why does she care?" Salome said in an annoyed tone.

"Salome. That is not fair. She obviously looks different then all of y'all. She's mixed and her siblings are brown. Dark brown, she's a smart girl y'all can't lie to her no more."

"I'm not ready to deal with this Aniyah."

"Salome I understand but it's not about you right now. Tell me what happened no more games."

She sighed. Before I knew it she started to cry.

"Salome baby you okay?..." Keveen walked in and immediately grabbed Kamiah from her.

"I'm fine just take her please," she told him in tears. He stood there with Kamiah hesitant to leave.

"Keveen I got her, I promise. We just talking." I said trying to reassure him. He left.

All that was heard the room was Salome's sniffles.
I reached over and patted her leg. "Tell me, it's okay."

"We were 14 when we met. I met him at one of the church conventions dad would attend out of town. We talked for a year online. I found out his dad was running for office, I knew he was rich but he never talked about it so I kept it to myself. Eventually he would have his driver come over to the house whenever I was home alone. At this point we were about 15. We never did anything sexual but one time we slipped and when I found out I was pregnant I had already cut him off." She sighed.

"Keep going I'm listening,"

"The guilt I felt of losing my virginity pained me. I made a promise to God I would save myself for marriage but.. anyways I didn't want the baby to jeopardize his dads campaign so I blocked him." She said with her head in her hands.

"So what are you saying...."

"Keziah's dad lives hours away, he has a wife and kids... and he has no idea she exist."

________________________________
Word Count-1146

This was a quick lil chapter but....

I know y'all wondering where I'm going with Keziahs dad.... I wanted to discuss in my book how the absent of parents affect children. In the black community especially it's become normal for us to grow up in one parent households. I want to share my personal story and testimony through this story as well and also show how God can fix any situation so stick with it!👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

God bless❤️🫶🏾