𝐆𝐎𝐅 𝟏𝟐

Start from the beginning

He wished he still had Quidditch to distract him; nothing worked so well on a troubled mind as a good, hard training session.

He also hadn't spoken to Emily after he had embarrassed her in front of half the school, the only people that Emily spoke to was Hermione, her best friend, Ethan, her second oldest brother and Draco, her cousin.

Dean had apologised to Harry and Harry 'forgave him' but still got made at the sight of him and Emily. Emily had made it very clear to Dean she liked him as a friend and said if things got to complicated then there friendship would end.

Their lessons were becoming more difficult and demanding than ever before, particularly Moody's Defense Against the Dark Arts.

To their surprise, Professor Moody had announced that he would be putting the Imperius Curse on each of them in turn, to demonstrate its power and to see whether they could resist its ef- fects.

"But-but you said it's illegal, Professor," said Emily uncertainly as Moody cleared away the desks with a sweep of his wand, leaving a large clear space in the middle of the room. "You said to use it against another human was-"

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," said Moody, his magical eye swiveling onto Emily and fixing her with an eerie, unblinking stare. "If you'd rather learn the hard way, when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely, fine by me. You're excused. Off you go."

He pointed one gnarled finger toward the door.Emily went very pink and muttered something about not meaning that she wanted to leave.

Moody began to beckon students forward in turn and put the Imperius Curse upon them.

Emily watched as, one by one, her classmates did the most extraordinary things under its influence. Dean hopped three times around the room, singing the national anthem.

Lavender Brown imitated a squirrel.

Neville performed a series of quite astonishing gymnastics he would certainly not have been capable of in his normal state.

Not one of them seemed to be able to fight off the curse, and each of them recovered only when Moody had removed it.

"Black," Moody growled, "you next."

Emily moved forward into the middle of the classroom, into the space that Moody had cleared of desks. Moody raised his wand, pointed it at Emily, and said, "Imperio!"

It was the most wonderful feeling. Emily felt a floating sensation as every thought and worry in her head was wiped gently away, leaving nothing but a vague, untraceable happiness.

She stood there feeling immensely relaxed, only dimly aware of everyone watching her.

And then she heard Mad-Eye Moody's voice, echoing in some distant chamber of his empty brain: Jump onto the desk . . . jump onto the desk. . . .

Harry bent his knees obediently, preparing to spring.

Jump onto the desk. . . .

Why, though? Another voice had awoken in the back of his brain.
Stupid thing to do, really, said the voice.

Jump onto the desk. . . .

No, I don't think I will, thanks, said the other voice, a little more firmly . . . no, I don't really want to. . . .

Jump! NOW !

Whoa, bit harsh don't you think. The voice said and the happiness over Emily's body left her as though it had never existed to begin with, and she felt her usual tiredness.