twohundredninety

"I'll be home late," Harry says over Freddie's enthusiastic retelling of their night outside. "We have to finish everything today."

"I know," Zain says, cheek in hand as he tries to keep his eyes open. He hasn't really slept well outside — too many unfamiliar noises and sights. It was worth it for Freddie's bouncing excitement, though.

"Have a nap, maybe," Harry suggests, kissing Zain's head and petting his hair. It's nice. Zain wants him to go even less than usual. "We said we'd go for dinner and I don't want you falling asleep halfway through."

"Yea," Zain agrees.

"Mummy," Freddie interrupts. "Did you see the plough? Plough plough plough," he repeats, very much in love with the sound of the word. And of his own voice.

"I did, baby," Harry says, kissing Zain again. "I gotta go, love, I'll be back tonight."

"Have fun," Zain says, watching Freddie trot after Harry, still chatting on about the stars.

"He's gonna crash so hard," Louis yawns, going to refill his cup. "I'm gonna take him down to the water, distract him so you can pack."

"Generous," Zain says drily, starting to clear the breakfast table.

"Mummy said I should draw him a picture of the stars!" Freddie announces, rushing back in. "Can I use your colours, Zain? Please?"

"I don't have them here, monster," Zain says, ruffling his hair. "They're back in London. But you got plenty of crayons."

"But I wanna paint a paining for mummy!" Freddie pouts.

"You can make a sketch, hm? And we'll paint it when we're home."

"Like you do?" Freddie asks, scrunching his nose up and attaching himself to Zain's belt. "With your big paintings I can't touch?"

"Yep," Zain agrees, tickling his cheek.

"Cool," Freddie nods like he's passing judgement.

"When your done we can go to the beach, huh, love?" Louis says, catching Freddie as he dashes past and kissing his head.

"Yes," Freddie nods enthusiastically. "I gotta do stuff now, daddy, lemme."

"Have fun," Louis calls after him, getting up to put his plate away. "I'll pack my stuff and get started in his while he's busy."

"I'll come down to the beach with you, I think," Zain says. "Gotta appreciate it while we're here."

"Yea," Louis yawns. "You know what's the weirdest thing I miss?"

"What?"

"Knowing if stuff is expensive or not at first glance. Euros confuse me," Louis says, pulling open random cupboards. "What are we gonna do with the food?"

"If it's good for a few weeks, leave it. Haz wants to come clack here and maybe Gemma and Perrie as well," Zain says. "I'm really looking forward to driving on the right sight of the road again."

"That, too," Louis nods. "I'm off to pack. If possible have a nap. Will see. But I have the kid."

"Cheers," Zain says, following him. "Might do the same. Probably nap, though."

Louis waves at him, already lost in his phone.

Zain yawns, walking up the stairs and trying to convince himself that packing was the smarter option. He'd pack better after a nap, though.

🌱

Zain wakes up to the mattress moving. He blinks into the darkness until he can make out Harry moving as he undresses.

He reaches out to touch Harry's back.

"You're back late," he says, cleaning his throat against the hoarseness.

"Hey," Harry says softly. "Didn't mean to wake you."

"S fine," Zain says, turning his cheek into Harry's palm. "You had fun."

"Yea," Harry says, kissing Zain softly. "I saw you packed."

"Was bored," Zain shrugs, brushing his nose against Harry's. "Monster was busy."

"Did you remember my painting?" Harry asks, settling down next to Zain and wrapping himself around Zain like an octopus and kissing his chin.

"Course," Zain yawns. "Just gotta make another sweep for Freddie's toys. He'll probably unpack tomorrow morning."

"Probably," Harry says, kissing Zain softly. "Love you."

"Love you," Zain says, yawning again. "Tell me about your party?"

"Nothing much to tell," Harry says, stroking his fingers through Zain's hair.

"Perfect to fall asleep to, then," Zain mutters, kissing Harry's neck.

"Yea," Harry huffs, amused. "Go to sleep then."

"Am," Zain says, drifting off to Harry's voice.

🌱

France is almost done!

Just to reiterate: apologies for my absence and general lack of engagement, I appreciate your comments, messages etc just really bad at doing stuff atm.