twohundredsixteen

"You gotta stop doing that," Zain grunts, pushing Harry away slightly by the forehead. "I love you, babe, but you'll give me a heart attack if you keep hovering like that before I even open my eyes."

"Sorry," Harry says, kissing Zain's cheek, not looking like he is the slightest bit. "I got a doctor's appointment, you need to watch Freddie."

"Already?" Zain yawns, cupping the back of Harry's neck. "That's quick."

"Cause I'm private," Harry shrugs. "Not NHS, I guess. This is one of those things where money helps a lot. Are you getting up?"

"Yea," Zain grunts, pulling Harry down against him, hugging him. Harry grunts back, letting himself fall onto Zain.

"That's not getting up," he says, nuzzling into Zain's neck.

"Morning cuddles are important, hasn't Freddie taught you anything?" Zain yawns.

Harry softens even further. "Yea," he says quietly. "But I gotta go. Freddie's playing in the living room."

"Kay," Zain yawns, cupping Harry's cheek. "You coming back right after?"

"Mm," Harry nods, kissing Zain's cheek and rolling off the bed, straightening his jumper. Zain stretches and follows him, scratching his beard. He needs to shave again.

"Love you," he says and Harry kisses him again, rushing out the door.

"Love you, too," he says. Zain yawns again, not used to changing time zones, and grabs a clean shirt, getting ready to spend time with a probably very awake five year old.

🌱

Zain doesn't hear Harry come back until he's in the living room, crossing the room towards them and settling down at Zain's side. He smiles as soon as Zain's eyes meet his, wide and happy, and Zain leans up to kiss his smile automatically. There had been a moment of doubt, perhaps, that all eight pregnancy tests were wrong, somehow.

"Why are you home?" Freddie interrupts before Zain can gather his wits. "Why aren't you working, mummy?"

"Do you want me to be working, baby?" Harry asks, amused, pulling Zain's hand to his belly.

"No," Freddie says, frowning. "But you left and you were wearing good clothes. Where did you go? You never wear good clothes when we go outside."

"I went to see a doctor," Harry says, throwing Zain a look. "And I do wear good clothes when I go outside, I always wear good clothes."

"No you don't," Freddie frowns. "When we go to football you're always wearing that coat with the missing button!"

"Clothing police," Zain mutters.

"Why did you go to the doctor?" Freddie continues, ignoring Zain. "Are you ill?"

"Not ill, baby," Harry answers soothingly, leaning across the mess of legos to cup Freddie's cheek. "Just a check-up."

"Check-ups are boring and they make you get a jab sometimes," Freddie pouts, but seems content with the answer for once, turning back to his building project.

"And?" Zain asks, pulling Harry closer. Harry lies down on the floor next to him, his face breaking into a wide grin.

"Yep. They confirmed and I got loads of infos about everything and the schedule for the next appointments and a few midwife recommendations. We can look at it together later."

Zain nods in agreement, cupping Harry's face and rubbing his thumb over the curve of his cheek. Like everything with Harry, it feels inevitable, the like having a child, another child, is just the next step. At the same time, his stomach knots with the knowledge of the pregnancy. It's not anxiety, exactly, and mostly hidden beneath the excitement of a baby, another child to rob his sleep and steal every second of his life.