Fourteen

Y/n POV

"So towels are in the bathroom under the sink, food is in the fridge and alcohol is in the cabinet in the living room. Matthew and I are usually at work between 6.30 AM and 7 PM, we go to dinner each Friday and if you ever need anything just let any of us know," Lizzie smiles at me and leaves me alone in the room I have been given in their house. 

None of them have asked, which I really do appreciate, I'm glad that they're giving me space, I need space, I don't need help, I don't need anything from them, well other than food on the table and a place to sleep, which they provided and I will give back to them, at some point. 

"Hey Melanie, you and Sophia wanna go drinking tonight? Or just come to where I am or whatever, just call me back, soon, please" I roll my eyes, usually, she would pick up the phone, immediately but I guess she's busy. 

 I still have to talk to her at some point, but then again you know, would I be horrible for not talking to her? Would it be that bad? Okay, I know what you're thinking, and no I wouldn't just leave, leave, but I would leave her in the sense of leaving her house with all my stuff in duffle bags, and I would delete her number and give her the keys back. Which would be really stupid, god Y/n get a grip, you are not your mother. 

For now, I'm just gonna calm down, take a few breaths and walk downstairs to the others who are making dinner in the kitchen. 

"Matt, do you still have that fentanyl from when you injured your leg a while back?" I ask him and jump over the last step at the bottom of the stairs, exactly like I used to do when we were younger. 

"Yeah, I think there is some left but it might've expired by now, it's in the bathroom cabinet's the last drawer in the medicine box somewhere," He instructs and cuts up a carrot not really looking at me. 

I follow his instructions and find the orange pill bottle half filled with blue pills. 

"Don't take more than one!" He yells after me, I chuckle and take one plus 2, but don't tell him. Okay now, this seems extreme but I just need the pain and sadness to go away for some time. 

Utensils cling against the porcelain plates and glasses occasionally raise from the table, the awkward silence is well awkward and just weird, it normally wouldn't be a problem, but when none of us knew what to speak about without stepping on each other's toes these next few days are going to get very, well difficult wouldn't be the right word to use, it is my brother but then again I currently can't think of a better word, so difficult it is. 

We finished dinner and I left the table and started cleaning up, "Y/n you don't have to do that, I'll do it," Lizzie offers, I look at her, and then down at the plates in my hand. 

"It's okay really, a force of habit I guess," I say and laugh with my brother, he knows what I mean. "Our parents had this rule that if Mat or Jason had cooked dinner which they each did once a week I would clean up, so I guess seeing him actually cook just, made old habits come up or something," I explain to a perplexed Lizzie who huffs and smiles when she gets it. 

My brother stands up and pecks Lizzie on the lips before walking upstairs, "You sure you're okay?" She asks me as soon as my brother closes to door to what I guess is their shared office. 

"Yeah. You guys are lucky by the way," I point out, "You got lucky with each other, and I can tell he actually adores you, even if my mother doesn't really like you, I know our father would've," I smile at her and sniffles when I remember what I have to go through tomorrow.