Scene 1 - Totters Lane, 1963

A series easily known worldwide, it has become a television institution like no other. Created by Sydney Newman, Verity Lambert, Donald Wilson, and CE "Bunny" Webber, their series of a "Thing that looks like a police box, stuck in a junkyard, can move anywhere in time and space", has generated a universal following that remains unlike any other form of cult entertainment. The series originally centred around two school teachers who are whisked away in a time machine that can travel anywhere in the fourth and fifth dimension. That ship was the TARDIS, an acronym for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space), and belonged to an enigmatic, cranky yet brilliant scientist.

We open with a mysterious, swirling fog encapsulating our view. The cold air thickens. A bright beam of light shines around and we hear the footsteps of a policeman walking his beat. The fog begins to dissipate slightly. The policeman comes forward, scanning his torch around to do his rounds of the night. He continues looking around his immediate vicinity carefully and then decides to turn back and walk his beat through the eeriness. A church bell gloomily sounds. The policeman arrives at the end of the lane, finding only a wooden gate with the large words "I.M Foreman" marked at the top. Below at the bottom, another well-marked sign of the gate, "76 Totters Lane" catches his attention.

The officer tries to gain access to it. After failing at the first attempt, he leaves the lock to enter. The camera zooms closer to the entrance. It creaks open, and the camera zooms forward to follow the intrigued policeman. The dreary setting of a disused junkyard with an eerie gloominess to it continues to lure him inside this unearthly setting. He hears faint vibrations sounding beside him. To his right, a wheezing, groaning electronic humming loudens. The camera turns to reveal the sight of a blue, police telephone box sitting in the junkyard. The fog around the box dissipates, helping to reveal its stark features more closely. The camera shows a view of the entire police box.

Footsteps within the swirling fog begin to creep closer. We see the shoes of this arriving visitor with his dark shoes and checked trousers. The policeman struggles to identify where these incoming steps are in his vicinity. For a moment, he feels a slight tingling of fear. The footsteps become increasingly louder, as we see the walking steps of this other man. The policeman keeps his senses alert. He turns to his left and can locate where the creeping footsteps come from. He turns to his right, where the sight of a crabby old man startles him when he turns to shine the light onto the man to see what the footsteps are coming from.

The policeman cries out a startled shriek. Once he regains himself, his primal fears disappear when he comes to terms with the answer that scared him. The fog around the two men remains thickened, and the policeman shines the light at the man. Dressed in a cloak, hat, and scarf to keep himself warm from the cold air, the disgruntled old man snaps back at the officer.

First Doctor:

Ah. Dear, dear me, Officer. Turn that infernal light out. It's blinding my eyes!

Policeman:

Beg your pardon, sir.

The policeman shines the light away from the Doctor.

May I ask what you're doing out here at this time of night?

First Doctor:

Yes. You may, my man. Hmm. You were just the person I happened to be looking for. I happened to be looking for a telephone booth.

Policeman:

You've come looking at the right place. Here's one. Just there.

The officer then shines the light on the police box.